Big thumbs up to dry fire practice

dakota.potts

I decided recently to really get more serious about my shooting. More reading, working out (especially upper body), and a lot more practice.

Problem is I can't get to the range very often and I can't afford the ammo.

What I can afford is dry fire practice. I did some reading and worked on my stance first. I found that, drawing from a strongside OWB holster (if you can even call a $12 Gunmate nylon thing a holster), it really feels smooth for me to go into an Isoceles stance. I've also founds that this works well to aim with my left eye as I am cross dominant. I don't really have to cock my head that way to aim.

I also worked on my grip. I have a full size gun so this was interesting but over all ended up being easier than a pocket pistol, even with my small hands. I focused on really getting a good cant with my left hand to maximize grip area.

Then I drew. And drew. And drew. When I was done drawing I would then pick a good backstop (like a full 55 gallon water barrel) and dry fire. Both double and single action. Only focusing on the smooth pull and break without jerking the gun. I probably did 200 draws and 300 trigger pulls over the course of a couple of days.

Then the fun part -- I finally got to go back to the range.

With the proper grip and stance, everything got on target much better. Recoil was much easier to control. I think the best part was that dry firing removed the association of the trigger pull with the jump and the noise. I stopped the little flinch that I had, to the point that I could watch the action of the slide going up and back into battery and even catch the muzzle flash sometimes. I suppose this means my eyes are still closing but I'm making progress.

I was having no problem hitting steel silhouettes at 25 yards and saw an improvement in accuracy and trigger control at these distances.

I also got to shoot my dad's compact .45, an ATI Fatboy. I had previously struggled with a .40 of about the same size and weight, but the little .45 was a lot of fun. I'm not sure I would have had that perception if I hadn't learned proper grip and stance to control the weapon.

My long term goal is to become a competitor and a teacher at some point. I saw tangible progress towards some of the fundamentals that will help me get there.

I can definitely say, for someone looking to bring their game even further, dry fire practice is something that is absolutely beneficial if done right. I doubted its effects at first but did it simply because I wanted to be with the gun and learning. I was very surprised how quickly I saw improvement. I'm still not a bullseye crackshot but I'm better than I was a week ago

dakota.potts said:
I also worked on my grip. I have a full size gun so this was interesting but over all ended up being easier than a pocket pistol, even with my small hands. I focused on really getting a good cant with my left hand to maximize grip area.
"Cant"?

There should be no cant. The firearm should be held upright, regardless of which eye it's aligned in front of.

Dry fire is underrated and I'm glad to hear that it has helped you.

It is very telling regarding what you are doing to the trigger and gun during the trigger squeeze to move the sights/gun.

BuckRub

Ammo is hard to get and expensive when found and range fees too. Dry firing is great practice and let's you work on trigger control, presentation, grip and others and its free and can pick your times. Whether it be watching tv are resting or just sitting around. I try almost everyday for last two years. Shooting live ammo sure has its advantage to but both have their place. Keep it up.

USMC 77-81

During marksmanship training in boot camp we sit in a big circle aiming and dry firing at a post with target spots on it for a week in the 4 basic positions we will shoot from during qualification, it's called 'Snapping in'. In addition to dry fire practice try the following:
1) Focus on getting to know your trigger. Without shouldering the rifle, slowly squeeze the trigger as you watch and listen for creep and/or overtravel. You can compensate for a less than ideal trigger if you are thoroughly familiar with it.
2) Assure you have your 'Natural point of aim', don't twist your torso to line up the target, move your entire body.
3) Concentrate on useing the acronym 'Brass', Breath, relax, aim, stop, squeeze.
4) If possible, do your dry fire practice at distances you would normally shoot at, if you have to do it closer such as in the house just make your targets smaller.
When you finally do get out for live fire practice, get in position and dry fire on your target numerous times prior to actually shooting, it works for me.

BuckRub

I like to use a spent casing on top of slide stood up right behind front sight. Try to aim and pull trigger without making case fall off. Can be done inside house. Take out magazine and check umpteen times for unloaded weapon first.

jmr40

I've spent a lot of time dry firing. I can sit at my desk and "practice" hunting position shots at squirrels, birds, knots on trees etc. for hours at a time with my hunting rifles. No way I could have afforded the ammo I'd have needed to get in that much practice.

Erno86

A. Blanca - In the latest Outdoor Life magazine...Todd Jarrett has a section on pistol shooting. Maybe not for a bullseye one handed pistol stance, but Todd suggests for one handed rapid fire pistol shooting --- for a right handed shooter --- the pistol should be canted {30 degrees?} outwards {not inwards "gangsta style"}, in order to better control recoil.