Big & slow.vs Light & fast

Moloch

Hello,

which round would you choose for protection against mid sized boars?
Yeah I know, a revolver would be MUCH better but I can shoot/hit better with a high cap. pistol.

It should be a glock...
Which one?
40S&W 165/180 grains or 357Sig 125grains? I cant decide between a big heavy slow bullet and a fast small light projectile.:barf:
Maybe the 40S&W is traveling too slow to cause much damage, and IMO the 357sig is too light and its not that much faster than the .40.
I dont want a glock 20, I cant get any 10mm ammo in EU.

Hope you can help me a little bit.:)

fisherman66

Learn to shoot your Redhawk (try 45lc).

Why put yourself at a disadvantage?

fast and heavy, use a bonded or hard cast bullet.

JohnKSa

Administrator
Get a Desert Eagle if you HAVE to have an autopistol.

Service pistol cartridges are not suitable for hog hunting.

yorec

Fisherman66's has the obvious solution here, Moloch. That redhawk, even downloaded to more manageable 45 LC, but still heavy enough for boar, would be much better. Why split hairs with two marginal boar calibers when you've got a real live pig gun in the cabinet. The others will still be marginal no matter which you choose and that Redhawk just needs some good parctice and boar targetted loads! :D

Moloch

It would be really bad if I dont hit the boar with the first shot of my .454 casull, so I want to go with a strong pistol which I can shoot VERY fast.
I could put three 40S&W into the head of running boar, in the same time I could shoot only one .454 casull. And a one-handed shot with the. 454 would be a problem too. I've done lots of one handed shots with my SRH but such shots arent safe in a attack situations. Especially with wet hands or a wet grip.:(
IMO pistols arent really powerful but very safe.

*edit* I've seen some guys killing a boar with one shot of 40S&W.. :D

JohnKSa

Administrator
Try posting a similar question on the hunting section of the forum and see what kind of reponses you get...

Or you could request that a moderator move this post, I guess.

yorec

I'd tell him the same thing there as here... Bet I'd have a lot of supporting voices too though!

Moloch

Yesterday I saw a Tokarev copy 7,62x25 in the gunshop and the owner told me that this caliber would be fine for hunting protection.:)

I think I'll take this little neat pistol, I tried it on wet paper and its really powerful; that 7,62mm FMJ projectile penetratet very deep while making a big hole.:rolleyes:
And the Tokarev copy is very handy and light but very powerful, I think it would be neraly as strong as my. 357Mag 4''.

What do you think about my choice?

cje1980

And the Tokarev copy is very handy and light but very powerful, I think it would be neraly as strong as my. 357Mag 4''.

Don't fool yourself. You would be much better with 158gr. of 357Mag @ 1200+fps. While penetrating very well for a semi-auto, it won't penetrate as well as a 357 or 44Mag and will punch an even smaller hole. Out of the two mentioned I would go with the 40S&W in a 180gr. or heavier weight. Double Tap has some pretty hot and heavy 40S&W loads. A 357Mag or better yet a 44Mag would be much better. Your 454Casull would be the ultimate hog gun in a pistol platform.

azredhawk44

.454 Casull will also chamber .45LC.

Get the hottest .45LC you can stand (they go up to .44mag levels of power, or down to about .38special) and shoot accurately and quickly.

Use the SRH.

Moloch

I surrender!

Okok, you have completely persuaded me, I'll go with my Ruger SRH with the trusty .454Casull 300 grainers softpoints.:rolleyes:

But I'll take the copied Tokarev too, its really cheap (200$) and its a very small but powerful gun. Maybe I go small game hunting with it if I get some Hp's.:D

Thank you!

fisherman66

HELLO, are you listening????

45 Long Colt will chamber in a 454Casull. Use a good heavy round, but you don't have to deal with the excessive recoil and follow up shot time that you'd be forced to accept with the 454.

45LC (the original bada$$ round) can still be loaded hotter than the 44 mag or down to whatever floats your boat.

Moloch

HELLO, are you listening????

Yesss..:)

45 Long Colt will chamber in a 454Casull. Use a good heavy round, but you don't have to deal with the excessive recoil and follow up shot time that you'd be forced to accept with the 454.
45LC (the original bada$$ round) can still be loaded hotter than the 44 mag or down to whatever floats your boat.

Yes I know but availability of 45colts here in Europe isnt very good and iam not a reloader...so ill go with the 300grainers Casull. 300 grains cause the heavier bullet reduces recoil a little bit. ;)

cje1980

300 grains cause the heavier bullet reduces recoil a little bit.

How so? My experience has been entirely the opposite. Every recoil calculation I've ever messed with has shown heavier bullets generating more recoil. I would assume a lighter load like maybe 260gr. or so would create less recoil, yet still be heavy enough to penetrate well.

Moloch

How so? My experience has been entirely the opposite. Every recoil calculation I've ever messed with has shown heavier bullets generating more recoil. I would assume a lighter load like maybe 260gr. or so would create less recoil, yet still be heavy enough to penetrate well.

Really? Thats odd....

IMO the 240 grains .454 bullets are the most recoiling cartridges i've ever shot.
The cartridges with the heavier 300grain bullets produce a little bit slower push instead of the fast ''wack'' of the 240&260.

Isn't placement just as important as caliber size and velocity?

- Sorry if this has been said already.[/qoute]

Yes but if I hit the head of a boar 6 times with a .45ACP It would not die because the slow heavy bullets did not penetrate the thick scull.