Big Rattler From The Southern Woods...

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
How about this big ol' diamond back... He is 8 1/2' according to the story with it... I don't think they get much bigger than that...
attachment.php

Reckon you would hear that rattle???
I am guessing the fangs could be an inch or more in length and the venom gland could hold grams rather than milligrams of juice...:eek:

Brent

Attachments

• big snake.jpg
    big snake.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 463
Jeez, that almost made me **** my pants just seeing the photo.... I hate snakes... It wouldn't have to bite me, I'd have a heartattack from stumbling upon that one...

shortwave

Have seen some big ones on Brahma Island on Lake Kissimmee but nothing near that big.

The head on that feller is as wide as the guys lower leg that is holding him. :eek:

jimbob86

Looks like forced perspective, to me.....

Yep...he's holding the snake out toward the camera on a two foot stick, so the snake is twice as close to the camera as the guy holding it.

aircorpnut's pic allows for a fairly accurate guess ...... provided the guy holsing the sanke is not 5' tall.

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
While it may not be a full 8 1/2'... It is way more than a 6 footer... I am fortunate enuff to have handled many diamond backs from nearly new born (thought it was a pygmy at first thought) to 6 plus... One thing you can use for perspective is the guy's hands... they are pretty close to the snake... How do I know??? These big slobs are HEAVY so strength of nad and the stick holding it are required...

Count the diamonds... They may not show age but there are a snot load of them... Now look how many lesser defined diamonds on the aft section.... A bunch there too... Note the LARGE LONG black "button" section at the rattles... See how fat it is compared to the rattle??? NOW... Take note of the prize winning buzzer on the thing....

Aircorp nut has a nice 6 footer... I counted 15 defined diamonds from tail to shovel... Now from neck section on the one i posted, I skipped 3 or 4 diamonds at head then counted 15... You oughta try it... It is enlightening... There is 18-24 more inches of VERY FAT tail with the lighter coloration:eek:...

It may only be 7 feet long... Who wants to measure one that big while alive???:D;)

Here is a little one compared to the 2 already posted here...
P1010659.jpg

P1010660.jpg

While a respectable buzz tail, it is just a teenager compared to those...

Brent

Scorch

Even if it is 3 or 4 feet closer to the lens than the guy is, that is a monster rattler! Look at the size of the head compared to the body, and how fat the whole body is. My dad used to live in east Texas, and he had a 6 footer's skin nailed on the wall of the garage. It was a full 12"+ wide in the middle. Not for the faint of heart!!

jmr40

That is a small guy, based on where he stands in relation to the truck, and holding the snake as he is may make it appear bigger. But make no mistake, that is a big snake.

Hogeman

He is large and I sure wouldn't want him near me alive. There shouldn't be any mistake hearing that rattle.

huntinaz

We killed a big one in Tucson a few year ago, if I remember correctly it was right at 5 foot. It was a big snake, for sure. A jogger had run the road a minute or two before we killed it, I wonder if she ever even saw it. It was in the ditch, she must have run pretty close to it. Snakes don't bother me all that much, but the sight of that one made the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

warbirdlover

Friend of mine was a snake hunter when I lived in NC and hunted by my house (Hendersonville area). We were playing with this one.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• snake1.jpg
    snake1.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 326
  • snake2.jpg
    snake2.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 326
  • snake3.jpg
    snake3.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 328

warbirdlover

Some more pics. He had pics (I've got them somewhere) of some that rival that one in the first pic. Mostly caught in the Everglades in Florida.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• snake41.jpg
    snake41.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 326
  • snake51.jpg
    snake51.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 321

warbirdlover

I don't think they keep accurate records. I've seen newspaper clippings my friend had where they were easily 9 feet and huge. I'm still digging trying to find those.