Big Dakota mule deer

Jack O'Conner

md3.jpg

Here is nice buck I took with my old Glenfield 30-30 in an area known as the White River Breaks of western South Dakota.
Jack

Buzzard

Nice Buck, now I am kinda woods sick...I used to live in Rapid City and hunted the Black Hills all the time, now I live in Kingman AZ a big big difference.
again , NICE ONE.....

Details, Jack.....
Details, please. And a larger pic would not be out of order either.
Them Thuddy Thuddy's are pretty much ALL keepers.

Great job.
Rich

Jack O'Conner

Glenfield30GT.jpg

This is my older Glenfield 30GT featuring 18.5 inch barrel and beech stock. We call it Meat-Maker and it is well named. 30-30 is a keeper! This short carbine has toppled many western mulies for my family since I bought it for $129. at the Western Auto Store in Lusk, Wyoming back in 1979.

For those folks interested in such things:
Two piece Weaver bases
Medium height rings
Simmons 2X to 7X Pro Hunter scope
Hammer extension by Uncle Mike's
Recoil pad by Pachmeyer
Remington 150 grain core-lockt ammo
Two blade trapper style knife by Camillus

This muley was taken in an area known as the White River Breaks of western South Dakota. Remote and rarely hunted due to rough and roadless country. I never saw another human footprint nor did I hear a single rifle shot. Just the wind as it howls through the cedars and pines.

My carbine is a Glenfield 30GT in 30-30. Ammo used is Remington's plain but effective 150 grain core-lockt. Distance to buck was about 130 yards or so after a half hour stalk. He bounded away at the shot but toppled over after a couple jumps. The bullet went all the way through and marked a fan shaped spray of blood on the snow. I'm a huge fan of the 30-30 cartridge and Marlin products!

It was 4 below zero that day. Dangerous too. A man can slip and fall and will freeze to death if he can't get back to his pick up. Any heavy exertion can lead to heavy breathing and freezing one's bronchial area; pneumonia can occur. I like to move slowly and use my field glasses a lot to look for game. Safe and effective.

Truthfully, this is one of my better bucks. Most years, I take a barren doe or young forkie for meat. Take note that diameter of antlers is smaller than a similar sized rack coming from Colorado, Utah, or Wyoming. This is a common feature of Dakota mulies. I'm wondering if this feature qualifies for sub-species status.

I don't hate magnum rifles at all or the hunters who use them. Just never perceived the need for such a rifle. Each to his own I say.

Good hunting to you.
Jack