Big Butt Install ???

rhetor

Help. Am I inept or what?. I ordered a Hogue Big Butt grip for my 625, and it arrived today sans directions. I thought this was because it would be intuitively obvious how to install them, but it turns out that's not true. The grips are cut to a very tight tolerance. The revolver's round butt will, with some resistance, go in about 3/4ths of the way and then hang up. I'm suspecting that the threaded u-shaped piece at the bottom of the grip isn't aligning up right, but there seems to be no way to wiggle it into place. My natural inclination is to force things, and I'm trying to resist that. Any hints on how to get this thing on without breaking it? Thanks

Juan Hunt Greer

If the " U-shaped thing" isn't aligning right, You can try stringing a piece of light sewing thread up through the hole in the bottom of the grip, throgh the "U-shaped thing " and back down into the hole and out the bottom. Then maintain a light tension on the thread ends until the grip is ALMOST all the way on, release one end of the thread and carefully pull the thread out from the other end.Push the grip the rest of the way on and insert screw.I have used variations of this technique on many various things. If the thread breaks during removal, just start over with a slightly stronger thread. Go to it!
crankshaft

rhetor

Thanks for the advice. As it turns out I solved the problem late last night. There is (was) a second u-shaped piece (different thread pitch) force fit into the bottom of the grip. Using the supplied bolt I managed to punch out the new piece and replace the original u-shaped piece on the grip frame with it. Everything works fine now. Still, one would expect a company like Hogue to at least have directions stating that the exchange of this piece must be carried out in order to install the grip. Thanks for your time working on my trivial problem.