Big boy calibers and their presses

mattgreennra

I have an RCBS rock chucker/piggyback system to make it progressive that I love. When I bought it I knew that it couldn't make rounds that were longer than .30-06. Here's my questions.

If you were to buy a single-stage press to load one of the longer range calibers, what would it be?
Does anyone have an RCBS ammomaster, and if so how do they like it? (Compare to rock chucker, or pro-2000 if possible please.)

I was thinking .338 lapua or .300 remington ultra magnum. I don't plan on ever shooting a .50 BMG, but the ammomaster can accept that w/ some parts. Regardless of my plans I might just shoot it later... oh decisions decisions.
I figured the ammomaster would be good just to keep my options open.

cheygriz

Redding and Lyman both make presses that will load anything shorter than a .50 BMG. Actually, I think your Rock Chucker will do that also.

My son loads .416 Rigby, and .340 Weatherby on a Rock Chucker.

I load .375 H&H and .45-90 on a Redding Big Boss.

rwilson452

Try the Lee Classic Cast. You can even get a .50BMG kit for it. It will handle what you want to reload. It handles the largest cases with ease. I choked up the hande to do 30-06 to get a better feel. The handle length is adjustable. move it out for leverage or in for better feel. I put a 30-06 in the shell holder about half way by mistake, it didn't line up with sizeing die. I crushed that case just as easy as nothing. Yes I was not paying attention and I was new to the press. I just didn't understand the leverage it had. Just one thing, do not drop this press on your foot. If you tend to mount and dismount your press take care doing so.

Rimrod

"I don't plan on ever shooting a .50 BMG, but the ammomaster can accept that w/ some parts. Regardless of my plans I might just shoot it later... oh decisions decisions.
I figured the ammomaster would be good just to keep my options open."

My sentiments exactly. I have a Rockchucker and a Pardner for single stage and a RS5 with a Piggyback ll for progressive. My next press will be the Loadmaster, I'm thinking about getting into the .50BMG and even though I will probably get both the RCBS and Lee .50 cal dies, the press will be an RCBS Loadmaster

T-Bear

Hornady lock n load press.
Gotta love the quick change in calibers.
Built rock solid and ain't bad in the price either.

BigJakeJ1s

In top-of-the-line single stage presses, there's one head and shoulders above the rest: Forster Co-Ax.

I have one and love it, and it will handle anything (short of the 50 BMG) mentioned so far.

Better design, better built. Better linkages, better "ram", better shell holder, better die holder, better handle, ....

Andy

ClarkEMyers

I have a Forster CoAx but the handle has to clear the die

I have a Forster CoAx but the handle has to clear the die - frex the CoAx will only go up to .308 with the Redding micrometer adjusting dies.

The number one choice for a spare press to use for loading anything is a Hollywood - I have a Universal Turret - not the best for a primary use press but a better all around press than some of the dedicated .50 Browning designs.

BigJakeJ1s

Forster ultra micrometer seating dies are available for all their standard cartridges, and all clear the handle on the Co-Ax.

Andy