BIG bore cartridge idea.

k77/22rp

Its 2:00 AM and I cant sleep so I spent an hour thinking up this nonsense.

Take a 50 BMG case and cut it below the shoulder, insert a 1,250 grain SP and you could have the perfect .75 caliber straight walled lever gun, or double rifle cartridge :D

With all that case capacity velocities might be as high as 1,800 -2,000 fps with a 1,250 grain bullet.
I know it be quite punishing to shoot, but maybe not that bad with a few sandbags between the butt of the rifle and your shoulder. :D
But since its based on a military cartridge and larger than .50, would it be considered a destructive device?

I have a picture!!!
You can tell it was done with a top-of-the-line graphics program.

So what do you think?

Attachments

• 75 bmg.jpg
    75 bmg.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 191

Scarborough

I slept none too well either so into the office for a bit. Fire up the computer and see THAT. Are you crazy? I mean why a round nose when we could get it in a upscaled 95 Winchester. A semi-spitzer is obviously the only way yo go.:D

HankL

I know it be quite punishing to shoot,

Something like 250 foot pounds of free recoil energy would be my guess.
Regardless of what case it is based on it would be considered a destructive device because of a bore diameter greater than 1/2 inch. according to U.S. Code Title 27 Chapter 1, Subchapter M, Part 179.
Fun idea though. :D

Bob Locke

I was thinking about going in the opposite direction, myself.

I'd love to see what could be done by taking a .50 BMG cartridge and necking it down around a .338 or .375 bullet.

C.R.Sam

Bob......see 338/50 Talbot. .50BMG necked down to .338 caliber.
250gr bullet, 3,700 fs MV, 7,625 ME.
Terrible throat erosion.
Dud.

Sam

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Not long after WW II, somebody built a .22/50BMG. Definite problem with bullet technology, in those days.

Probably needed some sort of Robotussin Injection System for its throat problems.

Art

Bob Locke

Thanks, Sam!

I figured someone would have tried it somewhere along the way.

Those numbers (250 gr./3,700 fps) are actually lower than I thought they would be. I figured something like that would push a 250 gr. bullet well beyond 4,000 fps.

But I can see where throat erosion would be a definite problem.

C.R.Sam

One can choke on too much powder capacity.
In late 40s I tried .22/06, ran out of barrel before getting load worked up.

Sam

k77/22rp

HankL,

"Regardless of what case it is based on it would be considered a destructive device because of a bore diameter greater than 1/2 inch"

Cant be, I can name lots of cartridges with a bore diameter larger than .50 and not considered a destructive device.
.700NE, .600NE, .577 T. Rex, .505 Gibbs just to name a few.

Scarborough,
"A semi-spitzer is obviously the only way to go"
I was kind of thinking of using it in a tube mag, and NOBODY would want a chainfire with that much powder. :D

Who knows of a reliable source for .75 cal bbls.:)

HankL

k77/22rp, Yes it can, it's the law. The Director of BATF can make exceptions to the law in regards to "rifles intended for sporting purposes etc." I'm not a lawyer of firearms law expert. Just do a little reading here. BATF Regulations
I'm with you 100% but that is the way I read the code.

J

Jeff, CA

What are you going to headspace on? You'll have to have a roll crimp if you plan to put it in a tubular magazine, so you can't headspace on the mouth. Is there a .50BMG rimmed? ;)

George Hill

Staff Alumnus
recoil.jpg

k77/22rp

Jeff, CA

hmmmm didnt think of that, maybe a 50 round drum would be better. Then theres the stupid AWB 94' DARN, all these laws dont allow for any fun.

Oh, and I have a question about that picture, saying the gun weighs 10 pounds which is probably more than it really weighs and a 647 grain bullet at 2500fps which is slow because of that shorter bbl thats still 220 ft/lbs of recoil energy! does that muzzle break really work that good?

jeff,

Tom Matiska

" ..... somebody built a .22/50BMG....."

What was the bullet for? In case the target was beyond the kill range of the muzzle blast?

Tom

H&Hhunter

Love your .50 necked up to .75 idea. What a way to make friends on the Praire Dog town. I'm definatley voting for the double gun version.

H&Hhunter

Love your .50 necked up to .75 idea. What a way to make friends on the Praire Dog town. I'm definatley voting for the double gun version.

H&Hhunter

Justin

k77/22rp-

That 50bmg gun is indeed real! :eek:
I saw one at an Indianapolis Gunshow a couple weeks ago. The guy was asking $3100 for it.
I asked him why anyone would want one.
He replied that it's good for roasting hotdogs and marshmallows, just set them to either side of the muzzle brake and touch a round off.
I'm still not sure if he was being sarcastic...

If you go to Birdman's website, he has video of one of these things being touched off.