• .450 Bushmaster

Votes: 10 43.5%
  • .458 Socom

Votes: 9 39.1%
  • .50 beowulf

Votes: 4 17.4%

• Total voters

freakintoguns

which big bore AR caliber would you guys go with? 450 bushmaster, 458 socom, or 50 beowulf? im lookin to build a 16" big bore AR soon and would like to get soem opinions on which is prefered and why

ohen cepel

I think the Bushmaster will be around in 10yrs. Not so sure about the other 2 options you listed.

So many cartridges don't last and I don't want to get stuck with one which goes away. Since Hordady is part of the Bushmaster that is where I would place my bet.

88KEYS

I think any of the three will throw some real foot pounds down range. I have the Beowulf and if you hand load it is not that bad, the brass is not cheap. I bought 500 cases and they have lasted me for 8 or so years. If anyone wants some load data and chrony results send me a private message. I love the Beowulf and with the 50 cal pistol’s plenty of bullets around and stuff like Rainer that cost less.

I have a 2X Aim point and it shoots very tight groups w/bullets touching at 50 yards and good at 100 yards. They claim it is effective at a max of 200 yards. I have the entire gun from Alexander Arms and both uppers the 16” Entry Gun, the rifle upper 24” w/brake. I plan in trying the rifle upper this summer see if it will group at 300 with the lighter bullets, have fired them as heavy as 420 grain. I have not used the rifle upper much the 16” shoots great.

I thing the rifle upper would give you 200 yards with good accuracy.
I know the Beowulf has seen combat and is effective for shooting through vehicles and walls, it is a real powerhouse.

jammin1237

in reality these are AR wildcats, not sure any will become a standard... but for now i'll take the .450 bushmaster, have one, and currently reload for it... will shoot any .451-.452 bullet and the brass will last a long time for reloading... the only problem i have seen with 2 of the big bores are the mags... seen a few to many feed failures in the .50 and the .450( dont know about the 458)... it is a simple fix though, just need to tighten up the feed lips on the mag to keep em reliable and use round or poly tipped bullets to finalize the deal... as far as power? no problem with any of them, i do like the ballistics of the 200 to 250 gr .450 bullets so far...

get a shoulder pad:) and try one before you buy one if you can... .450 is a win win situ in my books...

cheers