Big and slow bullets vs small and quick

AL45

Today I went to the range and fired some 357 grain .45 Colt cast lead loads at about 1000fps through my Ruger Blackhawk at some 4 x 4 yellow pine posts at 25 yards. I then fired some 128 grain jacketed soft point 7.35mm at about 2000 fps at the same posts at 100 yards. Both rounds went completely through the first post and into the second post the length of the bullet. The wound channel was also about the same as they exited the first post.

AL45

Gary, I knew I shouldn't have used the phrase "wound channel". I'm just thankful I didn't say "Long" Colt.

AL45

Glenn, the way I was shooting, I might have hit the scarecrow, but Pinocchio would have been safe.

44 AMP

Staff
I'm fine with "Long Colt", but wound channel in a piece of wood? Ok, if its human shaped, but not quite right to describe the hole in a 4x4 post.

AL45

44Amp, when a tree is damaged it is often referred to as a wound. The posts came from a tree. Thus....OK I guess I am stretching things a bit. I'm fine with Long Colt also. And I don't throw a temper tantrum when someone calls a magazine a clip. In my younger days I was guilty of that. I thought a magazine is what you read while you were sitting on the pot.

myusername

Well all I know is a .45acp HP will shred a 2X4 length wise and still hit the berm 200 feet away. I know this because I accidentally hit one of my target supports the other day and blew the leg out of it. I think it would do about the same with a real leg. :)

Dixie Gunsmithing

Moderator Emeritus
The biggest difference you can tell, is that the smaller bullet will give the pistol or revolver more recoil or 'kick', as the muzzle energy increases. Performance wise, I would have to see it.

44 AMP

Staff
I suppose wound is acceptable, but not the usual term.

Its a wound in a tree, because the tree is alive. I think that is the key, a wound is made in something living, at the time. After its dead, (like lumber) then its not a wound, its a hole.

Its a small matter, and of no great import, save it gives us something to argue over.

Big and slow vs. small and fast has been at the bottom of the stopping power debate since its existence. Both camps had dedicated adherents, and both work in the real world.

The argument seems to be which one works better? IF one does....

ChaperallCat

when dealing with supressed rifles. or simply trying to reduce muzzle blast, its been discovered that in order to keep muzzle energy up, that you must increase bullet weight as velocity decreases.