BHP Practical in.40

Harry Callahan

I just bought one of these babies and have to say that while it is indeed a beautiful piece you have to be a gorilla to rack the slide! The guy who sold it to me(brand new)said they are notorious for this problem but hopefully will get better after a couple hundred rounds. He also told me that Browning is discontinuing the HP for whatever reason. Anybody have any info? Help!:eek:

Stephen A. Camp

Staff In Memoriam
Hello. FN is still making the Hi Power and Browning is still importing them; Browning never made a single HP; they've been pretty much the sole importers in the US while FN sells the same gun with their markings on them elsewhere. The FN-marked Hi Powers have not sold well within the US as the FN name is not known by potential buyers who do recognize the name, Browning. The syndrome of wanting a "real Browning Hi Power" rather than the ones with the actual maker's markings is resulting in FN not selling Hi Powers under their name in the US.

Things can change of course, but for now it is my understanding that FN continues to make the Hi Power and Browning Arms continues to import "their" gun in this country.

All Hi Powers now come with 32-lb mainsprings. Combined with the heavier recoil spring of the forty-caliber version and racking the slide can require some effort.

Best.

AZta2guy

Harry, I had to cock the hammer by hand and then rack the slide on mine. I then started to do the push-pull to rack the slide. Still need to be a manly man to do
so, but I can get it to rack. Have to say the easist is to cock the hammer first. 1000 rounds and counting and still a manly man needed to rack with out cocking hammer by hand first. I have also heard that replacing the mainspring with a lighter one will help to rack. Have not done so yet, nor am I really sure if I am going to go that route or not. Hope I was some help, good luck.

Last edited:

arnie08515

check out this issue on the high road forum. Someone described a method of racking a 40 HP by essentially turing your body 90 degrees while continuing to maintain the position of the barrel pointing downrange. That way you activiate your bicep muscles more. Its on the high road under semi-autos in tonite's posting.

I'll find out soon since I just order a Mark III in .40 caliber.

IndianaDean

The BHP in .40 is the only .40 I've enjoyed shooting. However I had to sell mine because my arthritic hands could not compress the spring enough to get it back into the gun.