BFR 50 S&W or 45-70 or 450 Marlin ??

kidcoltoutlaw

Im looking at getting one. I need the power or want the power . I shoot my 454 SRH with one hand and now it seems weak. I need more power. The charts I have seen go with the 50 S&W a 440 grain bullet at 1700 fps and 2800 foot pounds of energy.

On the down side. I see the bullets are way cheaper for the 45-70. Brass is way cheaper also.

Kind of thought about a MOA handgun in 375 H&H 14 inch. If it is a finger buster it kind of kills the hush.

5 shots with a 45-70 or a 50 S&W should do the trick. Thinking harder on the 50 for the extra power . How much energy will the 450 Marlin crank out in a 10 inch BFR,

Thanks,Keith

500 SD

The .500 is hard to argue with in the long cylinder. I found it easy to convert to my .500 SD (case is a streched out .500 S&W to 2.26") for those that are bored with the under powered calibers currently available:eek: . It is similar to the .500 Martin except the chambers are only lengthened instead of reamed larger and lengthened. I could still shoot the .500 S&Ws out of it in a pinch. I converted my own brass as well (looking into supplies now). The smaller catridge in the pic is a standard .500 S&W. The longer one is the .500 SD stuffed with a 700gr pill.

Attachments

• .500 SD 700gr.jpg
    .500 SD 700gr.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 247
Last edited:

Phxdog

For men who would be men

And I thought I had big 'huevos' shooting my 500 mag:rolleyes:

Outlaw, your taste for power would be well served wiith the big Smith, try one in 4". I also own a 45/70 that I shoot out of a T/C 16". A very enjoyable round. However, after seeing the pictures, the 45/70 probably won't dazzle you as much as that 500SD.:eek:

I am just glad there are shooters like yourselves that enjoy and support the powerhouse calibers. There are lots of great ones from which to choose. . . the .460, .454, .480, .50 Beowulf, etc.

I assume you handload and push the envelope from that side as well? BTW, I wish I had a .50 McBros! What a weapon.

Moloch

I would go with the .450 Marlin, afaik it will have more power than the .500S&W out of the 10'' barrel. And if you are a reloader you can load it MUCH harder than any .500S&W.

The .450 marlin BFR also won the last ''flying pigs contest'' in EU. I think it was a 600grain bullet.:confused:

Dirty_Harry

Boy a .450 out of a pistol would be a killer for the wrist, I mean it is a beast out of my rifle.:eek:

Personally I would go with the .500 smith and wesson, especially after seeing that 700 grainer. :D

kidcoltoutlaw

Can't help it got to have the power

Most of the time the load that fills the case and gives the best velocity will also be very accurate. I load for accuracy but I get lucky and find a load that gives me both.

My Coonan will shoot a 357 mag 125 at 1775. The load was max in the Speer #11 book. Now it is over max still it shoots under 2 inches at 25 yards for 10 shot groups. Most mag calibers do shoot best with top end loads.

Must be a lot of gunk guns out there because the load books are kind of on the lite side.