Better than my baby?

Shadi Khalil

Hello all,

I've spent the better part of the morning shooting my Ruger MKIII 22/45 and falling more in love with every pull of the trigger. Since I got it a year ago I've been pretty obsessed with the caliber and shoot it almost exclusively. I only have 2 in my collection as of now, the MK and 10/22, but plan on adding many more.

My MKIII is the model that does not accept replacement grips and other than a fiber optic front site, the gun is stock. Because I shoot the gun so well (by my poor standards) I have more fun shooting it than any other gun I own.

The other day while at the LGS, I fondled a few different .22's that surpassed my Ruger in their refinement. As I remember I handled - 22/45 w/volquartsen trigger and a long list of other upgrades, an old high standard .22 (can't recall the model) and a Buckmark.

Each one had a very light, crisp trigger, nice grips and the Ruger wore a very nice reflex sight. All three guns seemed like they would be a pleasure to shoot.

While looking at my targets over breakfast with the wife and baby, I started thinking to myself; of I'm having this much fun with bare bones 22/45, imagine the times to be had with something a bit more fancy.

SmI'm going to begin the long hunt for a new .22 pistol that is better than my beloved. I'm looking for something along the lines of a Ruger/Browning. I really like the SR22 but I can pick one of those up any time with little research outside of price. I've owned a P22 so no Urmax anything.

So, what is the best out of the box .22 in your opinion? Please feel free to make suggestions, post pics, stories etc.

Thanks

Last edited:

Joe_Pike

I don't own either of these but I hear good things about the old Colt Woodsmans and the S & W Model 41. Both will put a pretty good dent in your wallet, though.

Pahoo

Don't do it !!!

I don't own either of these but I hear good things about the old Colt Woodsmans and the S & W Model 41. Both will put a pretty good dent in your wallet, though.
Don't make the same mistake I made, by buying a S&W - 41. Since the first day I took it to the range, I have stopped looking for a better .22 Semi. The 41's will spoil you shopping and collecting time. ..... ;)

Don't ruin your relationship with your beloved .... :rolleyes:

Be Safe !!!

curt.45

FWIW my second MKII ss 5"bbl out shot a 10"bbl MKII and one of those Ruger slab side target MK's sold them and kept the 5" also have an old Smith that is sweet! but I've bought and sold lots of 22's getting to where I am now.

all I can add is good luck in your pursuit of .22 happness.

Sevens

So, what is the best out of the box .22 in your opinion? Please feel free to make suggestions, post pics, stories etc.
I will defy the first quoted sentence, and reply to the SECOND quoted sentence! :D;)

Best, "out of the box" doesn't apply to my suggestion. Quite simply, I just want to make sure that you don't miss one of the greatest things in the history of handguns to ever grace the planet, and that is a John Browning original, the Colt Woodsman, and it's variants.

I've handled "most" of the rimfire pistols on the market, save for a few that matter. (for example, I've never had the pleasure of a S&W Model 41, either in shooting or simply handling. I expect to be impressed!) And I come from a position of deep, DEEP love for my KMK-512 Ruger, I can't put in to words how important that pistol is to me, but you captured the spirit of in when talking about your own 22/45.

Even still, nothing I know of is... like a Woodsman or Woodsman variant. (Pre-Woodsman, Match Target, Challenger, Huntsman, Targetsman) There is a feeling when you draw the slide back on one of these that simply ought to be experienced. And the stock trigger, just as they shipped it outclasses nearly anything that anyone produces today except for highly exclusive high dollar target/competition rigs.

The build quality, the finishing, the FEEL. I'm not saying you HAVE to own one, but I am saying that if you aren't hands-on familiar with these fine machines, you truly don't know what you might be missing.

What's cool and "REAL" about these is that they made 'em, in different variations... from 1915 to 1977. Sure, many are highly "collectible" and draw big dollars... but so many in less than mint condition do -NOT- draw huge money and can be found, fondled, and brought home.

You could discover something fantastic! Find one, interview it. Thank me later! :D