Better plinker: SKS or High Point 9mm???

pistol-whipped

I found the Hipoint to be surprisingly accurate out to about 50yrds and 9mm is fairly cheap at WallyWorld.Had to fight with it sometimes to get it to feed right until I found some mags that for some reason the rifle liked more,great rifle for the price and loads of fun!!!!

robc

Wow. Those are two very different firearms. I have a Hi-Point. Very reliable. Very cheap to buy and shoot. I don't have an SKS, but I can't imagine my 9 being able to outshoot one at any significant distance. SKS has twice the muzzle velocity - with a spitzer bullet. It's almost gotta be more accurate.

I know, but the sks is a war rifle, the hi point is not. The high point is US made on current equipment-the sks is not. The sks shoots a more modern bullet design, the hi point does not. The sks has lots of what ifs... the Hipoint does not.
The accuracy i am looking for is about a soda can at 100yrds.. can either do this with quality ammo?
The sks will be used by an illiterate peasant, the hi point will be new...
You see my points?
-VE

cheygriz

SKS. Don't even give it a second thought!:p

The SKS is a rugged, well built, reliable military rifle. The Hi-point is a.............well, I won't go into that.:barf:

rugerdude

I love both of these guns, but as a plinker I have to recommend the Hi-point. The SKS is more powerful and more impressive as well as more accurate, but the ammo is pricey these days, and although I'm sure you could find a nice yugo for less money than a hi-point carbine, the hi-point will be far cheaper to shoot. Don't get me wrong though, the Hi-point is plenty accurate and has great sights for its intended range (<100 yards). It shoots where you aim it, plain and simple. a soda can at 100 yards would be pushing it, but I think you could do it. It would be a nice challenge in any case.

I bought the hi-point just because I could and I am very pleased with it, it is an excellent value and a good gun overall. Fit and finish could be better, but you still get a lot for what you pay, and I'd rather have something that works well over something that's pretty any day. Tons of fun.

Also, mine has been 100% reliable and if yours isn't for some reason, their warranty service is lifetime, and no questions asked. They will often send you free magazines for your trouble if you need to send it in as well as fix it or replace it for free.

I've put 100 rounds of brown bear (REEEAAALLY dirty) and about 100 rounds of monarch (cheap, but pretty clean) 9mm through mine and it has not had a single jam.

+1 to the hi-point. The ones that don't like em' are the ones that don't have them, I used to bash them too until I owned one.

(To be honest, I like my yugo more than my hi-point, but the hi-point fits your criteria a little better than the sks. They are both GREAT guns at a very low price, you'll be pleased either way.)

You see, accuracy is important.. so what country of origin will the best SKS come from? Then again, I might come to the same conclusion as I did when I was considering a .223 target rifle. I dont have a need because the farthest I'll shoot is at max 200yrds, I can still hit a soda can at that distance consistantly with a scoped .22lr target rifle. So, when I make more money then I can spend more, but if the .22 serves essentially the same purpose then there isnt a legit reason to expend all that on a gun when I have one that can accomplish just about anything I need for the meantime. However, for a friend and maybe me... what do you think about the marlin 1895c in 357? I heard it could just about shoot MOA with heavy (180grn) bullets. What say you?
Thanks,
-VE

hags

Let me tell you, the High Point wins hands down!
I have a 9mm carbine that I haven't cleaned in over 2500 rounds. It's still going strong!
Price of ammo, and the warranty make it a no brainer! Oh yeah, and the price!!!!
By the way, I neglected to mention, not one FTF or FTE since I've owned it.
If you want something that gets the job done, and Hi Point does, then go with the Hi Point!!!

hags

Oh yeah, accuracy? My Hi Point has embarassed costlier alternatives.
Seriously though, I am extremely happy with the accuracy, it shoots where I point it, what more could you ask?

mrawesome22

I'll have to say that the SKS is far better than a Hi-Point anything. I've owned both and would not recommend either, but Hi-Point's are junkers. Total waste of money. Of course, so are SKS's. You get what you pay for.

Hedley

I'll have to say that the SKS is far better than a Hi-Point anything. I've owned both and would not recommend either, but Hi-Point's are junkers. Total waste of money. Of course, so are SKS's. You get what you pay for.
That's the biggest falsehood I've read all night. Both are fun carbines, but for accuracy and fun at the range, go with the SKS. My little 16.5" factory 26 will shoot one minute of coke can all day long.

FS2K

SKS...Here's why...

1. When you squeeze the trigger the gun goes BOOM! (instead of "pack!")

2. Hi-Point stings your face when fired.

3. SKS made with better parts. Not a bunch folded sheet metsl,

4. SKS more versatile weapon. Can be used for hunting, home defense etc.

5. A big aftermarket selection of tatical and performance parts.

6. Stripper clips.

7. SKS is a good gun at a great price, the Hi-point is a mass produced cheap gun that sells for what it's worth,

What would a typical...yugo SKS do at 100yrds (group size with a scope) and what can a Hi-point do at 50yrds? Thats not fair you may say? Not so, one is a pistol caliber the other is a rifle round.
If the SKS requires that I dissaseble the whole thing after I shoot U.S non corrosive because the gas piston is finicky then I wont even consider an SKS.
If they sell an sks under $200 and it isnt a POS with a corroded bore that can also acheive 2.5~3.5"groups at 100yrds, then I think I'll go with an sks.
I will check 7.69X39 on midway to see its price...
-VE

hags

Hi Point because....... it's American made, Lifetime Warranty, allowed at most indoor ranges (pistol caliber), much cheaper ammo, greater selection of ammo, alot more accurate, much better ergonomics and it's cheaper!!!!!
I'd bet most people that poo poo the Hi Point have never seen one in person let alone shot one.

1. When you squeeze the trigger the gun goes BOOM! (instead of "pack!")

Mine has always gone boom, unlike some SKSs that I've seen firsthand go kaBOOM!

2. Hi-Point stings your face when fired.

If you're stinging your face on one carbine/rifle versus another, you're doing something wrong.

3. SKS made with better parts. Not a bunch folded sheet metsl,

Yes, keep stamped metal out of guns! Except for arguably the best combat/assault rifle of all time, the AK47. ?????????????

4. SKS more versatile weapon. Can be used for hunting, home defense etc.

Hi Point is shorter, smaller, and lighter. Much easier to handle.

5. A big aftermarket selection of tatical and performance parts.

You can get "tacticool" stuff for the Hi Point too.

6. Stripper clips.

PITA

7. SKS is a good gun at a great price, the Hi-point is a mass produced cheap gun that sells for what it's worth,

The same could be said for the SKS, surplus junk that'll get you 3-4" groups at 100 yards at best.
No, I don't work for Hi Point, just sharing my experiences.

I ventured the Hi-point issue because I recently shot one and loved it, ringing a steel plate at 50yrds was loads of fun. However, I have never shot an SKS, so I dunno.
This thread represents how I am torn between the two-both make a compelling case.
-VE

rugerdude

I'm confident that with new ammo, my 150 dollar yugo sks (excellent condition) will get something in the area of 3 inch groupings at 100 yards(that's the rifle, not me).

I'm sure the Hi-point will do 3 inches at 50, probably better.

I've never heard of any problems with shooting U.S. ammo and the gas tube messing up, however be sure to clean all that cosmo off or you may get slamfires with the softer U.S. primers.

For 200 bucks, you can get a pretty good yugo and some ammo, and for 100 yard shooting, the sks wins simply because the hi-point is outranged.

and FS2K,

1. What difference does it make if the hi-point sounds different when fired?

2. The hi-point won't sting your face if you hold your cheek weld back half an inch.

3. The SKS IS made with better, more heavy duty parts, but why should this matter if both have a reputation for being reliable (talking actual owners here, not the "I hate them because they're inexpensive and ugly" crowd)

4. The sks can do more things than the hi-point, this is true, but I'd much rather have my 31 inch long hi-point in an HD scenario over my 45 inch SKS that makes me worry about over penetration.

5. The aftermarket following is much bigger for the sks.

6. Extra mags. Extra magazines are much faster and easier to change because of the natural ability for a person to instantly find their other hand without even looking (this refers to the hi-point's magazine well being inside the pistol grip, and thus easier to locate for quick reloading).

7. The SKS was mass produced, and in many cases very cheaply. Does this mean it's bad? Both guns are fantastic and are great values, period.

I don't want to be mean but I just don't think you're giving the hi-point enough credit.

Big-Foot

And the winner for the title of best cheap plinker goes to.........

Can't say. This is a tough choice because even though they were manufactured very differently, for very different uses, they are very close for your stated use. Although the SKS will have better range.

I say shoot em both and decide what feels best to you. The SKS is heavier and longer and has a straight grip, try to find the shorter "Paratroop" version. Some people just prefer pistol grips like the Hi-Point.

If they both feel good then you might have to factor in other uses like defense or hunting to break the tie. The SKS should win both of those. The SKS will not overpenetrate for if you use good ammo like Wolf MC HP.

based on ammo costs (I am used to .22rf prices) I would say I that the SKS is eliminated, I think it is more a question now of whether to save up more for a marlin 1895c in 357, which I've shot and loved(I love lever actions) or the high point-maybe even a cheaper savage .223:confused:
-Ve