Better off not knowing

olduser

I recently acquired a Taylor baby rolling block in 45 colt. Plinked with it and decided to clean the bore. After cleaning I decided to examine it with one of the Teslong endoscopes. See the attached picture. Apparently the reamer had a defect and it left the transverse mark shown. The mark appears at regular intervals, which makes me believe it was a reamer. So far I do not believe it causes a problem. These cheap scopes find things that maybe we do not need to know about.

Attachments

• bore defect.jpg
    bore defect.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 198

stagpanther

I use both a teslong and hawkeye and probably qualify as a "obsessive bore voyeur"--IMO reamer tool-induced damage to the bore usually has a symmetric regularity about it--an eccentric wavy gouge I would say is more likely the result of something else other than the tools used to machine the bore and rifling (like cleaning rod).

Scorch

I always think it's amusing that people buy a high magnification tool and look in their rifle bores without knowing what to look for, then say there are reamer marks. Of course there are reamer marks! The chamber was reamed! The biggest qiestion is "how does it shoot?". If it shoots well, leave it along and shoot it!

DaleA

These cheap scopes find things that maybe we do not need to know about

I think you said a mouthful there!
I've often thought about getting a borescope but like Scorch said I really wouldn't know if what I was looking at was really significant.

I'm impressed you got a photo off. Plus you were able to post it. Those things give me problems but it also gives me an excuse not to post some stuff.

Thanks for posting the photo and good luck with it.
P.S. They say .45 Colt is staging a comeback but I don't see much .45 Colt on the shelves and the stuff I do see is almost a buck a round. Good for you for reloading.

jetinteriorguy

I have a friend who is one of the most avid shooters/hunters I’ve ever known. He has a Blackhawk.357 that has bad chatter marks in the bore that’s the best shooting pistol he has. So you never know.

MarkCO

I always think it's amusing that people buy a high magnification tool and look in their rifle bores without knowing what to look for, then say there are reamer marks. Of course there are reamer marks! The chamber was reamed! The biggest qiestion is "how does it shoot?". If it shoots well, leave it along and shoot it!

Yep. Borescopes and dremels...tools home hobby gunsmiths should never touch.

44 AMP

Staff
Other than for resale pricing, what a bore looks like matters naught. What it DOES is all that matters, to me, anyway.

Have seen bores that looked rough as a freshly plowed field, but shot fine. And bores that looked pristine and perfect that wouldn't group smaller than a paper plate at close range,

If it shoots well, then anything that looks bad but obviously isn't affecting performance is merely cosmetic. Some folks pay more for "good looking', I don't.

I pay for "good working".

gwpercle

I had a AMT Hardballer 45 acp that shot 3/4" - 1" groups at the target range .
Saw a "Flaw" in the barrel ... sent barrel back ... Yep ! flaw in the steel , AMT replaced barrel . New Barrel ... 2" groups all day long ...I WAS AN IDIOT !!!

If it shoots nice groups ...don't send it back !
I would have given anything to have that old barrel back ... AMT had scrapped it by the time I called them back ... I was the Fool !
Gary

stagpanther

My barrels always shoot better after I give them flowers and a box of chocolates. Sometimes serenading them with a guitar helps too.;)