Better bullets built; Cleaner than lead, they can be created not to richochet

Drizzt

Copyright 2002 Knoxville News-Sentinel Co.
Knoxville News-Sentinel (Knoxville, TN)

October 25, 2002 Friday Final Edition

SECTION: ORNL RENAISSANCE; Pg. R4

LENGTH: 924 words

HEADLINE: Better bullets built;
Cleaner than lead, they can be created not to richochet

BYLINE: [By Frank Munger, News-Sentinel staff]

BODY:
The government said get the lead out, and researchers responded with tungsten and tin.

When pressed together in powder form, tungsten and tin produce a bullet just like those made of lead - only better.

"What we do is really easy," said Rick Lowden, a materials scientist at Oak Ridge National Laboratory.

It's so simple it's fascinating. Instead of melting and casting or extruding metals, Lowden uses a hydraulic press to compact the powder mix at 50,000 pounds per square inch. Within a few seconds a small pile of ugly gray powder becomes a shiny silver slug. A quick swaging and you've got a bullet. To add a copper jacket takes no time at all.

Whereas the traditional alloying process often creates unwanted microstructures and other problems, the powdered-metal technology brings together the best of the different metals.

"Tungsten is dense, and tin is soft and ductile," Lowden said. "Without heat or sintering, they combine to form a composite material that acts just like lead."

The initial motivation for the ORNL project was environmental. Tungsten doesn't foul the environment like lead or require costly cleanups, and "green" bullets are easily recycled. Because tungsten has a very high melting point, bullets can be heated until the tin melts away, separating the two metals.

The Army now stocks the lead-free ammo for selective uses, making it available to National Guard units around the country and other military agencies. Aerojet, a company in Jonesborough, Tenn., produces the slugs, which are further processed into bullets by an Army contractor in Missouri.

Environmental friendliness is a plus, but what really stirred the interest of the homeland-security program is another quality.

Tungsten-tin bullets can be made so they don't ricochet. The bullets disintegrate when they hit a hard surface, such a wall.

"If you're in a crowded airport or urban environment, you really don't want ricochets," said Mike Kuliasha, who directs ORNL's work on homeland security.

Likewise, the U.S. Department of Energy was interested in having guards armed with bullets that might kill a terrorist but wouldn't blow a hole in nuclear-processing equipment or endanger other sensitive operations.

Lowden said: "You can make a bullet just the right shape and size to optimize its properties or change the weight distribution to enhance the ballistics. The technology is really interesting in that it gives you so much variety and variability."

Researchers can fabricate bullets that reportedly will penetrate a "bulletproof" vest yet not exit the body. By increasing the density of the slug, changing the weight distribution and inserting a ceramic penetrator, they can make bullets that, at least on paper, would double the shooting range of an M-16 rifle and increase accuracy by 40 percent.

By adding traces of phosphorescent powder, they can incorporate a "marker" that can be used for evidence if the ammunition is used in criminal activities.

According to Lowden, potential applications for compacted tin and tungsten powder are many, ranging from cores for perfectly weighted golf balls to shielding for nuclear reactors.

Some special military uses that Lowden won't discuss may be in the works.

When the powders are compressed, most of the changes occur with the tin because tungsten is hard and doesn't deform. The tin particles meld and bend and stretch around the bigger tungsten particles through a mechanical interlocking process.

At the same time, however, a second process is taking place, Lowden said.

"Every particle of metal has a little rust on it, an oxide coating, but as you put it under pressure and it starts deforming and ripping and tearing, you get these really clean, shiny metal surfaces," he said. "As you put two clean surfaces together like that under pressure in the presence of air, they weld together in a process called cold welding."

By adjusting the particle size of the tin, researchers can dictate how much of each process, mechanical interlocking or cold welding, takes place. That, in turn, affects the properties of the bullets.

"We can make a bullet that's not really welded together and it's really fragile. Or we can make it weld together more and bonded with the tin so it's more ductile and it splatters like a lead bullet. So we can make a bullet that disintegrates or one that's more like a lead bullet. It's kind of nice."

When evaluating the possibilities several years ago, Lowden and colleagues at ORNL did a check of scientific literature and a patent review and found nothing at all. Nobody had ever suggested cold-compacting the two metals to simulate lead.

Indeed, reference books on metals basically conclude that pressing two powders together will not result in anything worthwhile, Lowden said.

"Guess what? They're wrong," he said smugly.

Early on, it appeared the downside of the powdered-metal bullets would be the cost. But, when factoring in cleanup costs, the tungsten bullets are actually cheaper than lead ones, Lowden said.

It's the simplicity of the process that he finds most attractive.

Lowden makes his own bullets at home, and he said serious shooters could probably do the same by changing the dies in a commercial reloading press.

Instead of pushing a bullet into the cartridge case, the reloader compacts the powder and forms a slug that can be made into a bullet. With the computer software that's now available, people could even design their own bullets.

"It's the ultimate science project for a shooter," Lowden said.

LOAD-DATE: November 13, 2002

braindead0

You know, all this whining about lead is bad for the environment....hmm. Didn't it come from the environment in the first place?

Oh well, from the time I was 10yrs old my dad, me and my brother all cast lead bullets.. in the garage (started in the kitchen), no special ventilation or anything. My dad did that for 30 years..and no problems, no elevated levels of lead...nothing.

Archer1440

Early on, it appeared the downside of the powdered-metal bullets would be the cost. But, when factoring in cleanup costs, the tungsten bullets are actually cheaper than lead ones, Lowden said.

Don't bet on that. Having worked with the contractor mentioned in the story, I would say this will be quite expensive.

braindead0

What bugs me is when they enviro-nazi's say we are destroying the earth. What they a really are saying is we are destroying ourselves and other species. If we nuked the entire contents of this planet, the earth would come up with something to replace us.....

Selfdfenz

This could be the Non-toxic shotshell deal all over again.

Very likely a very expensive fix for very likely a non-existant problem.

1.Wonder what a $.97 box of 22 ammo will cost when made of this stuff?
2. How do we know that firing tons of this into the environment will be safe? And who says? Based on what?
2b.If you inhale lead its a problem but what about Sn and Tungsten? Is it toxic at certain levels if inhaled? Over time? To kids? Spotted owls??????
3. Will we find out we need to buy new guns to shoot the stuff if its mandated.

S-

Last edited:

dZ

But, when factoring in cleanup costs, the tungsten bullets are actually cheaper than lead ones,

who is "factoring" the cleanup costs?

the VPC that claims 1, 22lr bullet can contaminate an entire city water supply?

vulcan

The technology been out on sintered projectile for a while. I remember a shotgun slug for hinge removal based on a sintered slug.

Some LE agencies will be going to frangible "lead free" bullets in the near future. They're concerned about all the "clean-up" and haz-mat :rolleyes: associated with the range. Best way to "clean-up" is to invite folks who cast to come and scavenge. Believe me, those guys from the North-South Skirmish Association need a lot of lead with those .58 caliber Minie balls they shoot.

Goet

Danger Will Robinson!

Imagine trying to reload!

Sorry, I can see having these as a viable option on the market. I rue the day that these are MANDATORY projectiles, as that slippery slopes us into being completely dependent on manufactured bullets.:(

Blackhawk

Our colorful language will change:

"Eat tungsten/tin, sucker!"

"He died of a case of 45 caliber tungsten/tin poisoning."

Of course, it will be shortened to tt or tuti or titu or something, and that could brighten up the language a bit.... :D

Kaboom

Why does the news release sound like an advertisement in most of the gun rags? We have invented a new super duper got to have item type deal. Just another product for a specific task. Besides just where will we find room for the press in the reloading area to make these new bullets. What will the forming press cost? Does Midway stock them yet?

bronco61

I rue the day that these are MANDATORY projectiles, as that slippery slopes us into being completely dependent on manufactured bullets.

As long as we have wheel weights, a stove and bullet molds, we'll never be dependent on manufactured bullets. We can heat treat them in our ovens to make them very hard too.

But I do see your point.

Long Path

I actually look forward to the technology getting more widespread, because it'll cheapen. Hey, I'm willing to consider new concepts. And heavy metals really can mess up your kids' development. I was there in the garage all during my childhood helping with the reloading and the casting, too. And look at me now! ;) ("I coulda been somebody!")

Tu is $, isn't it?

MeekAndMild

If these bullets shatter on impact there is not much left to do ballistic studies on. Maybe we can hope the VPC weenies learn this then have a meltdown like those alien computers on Star Trek used to do when Kirk fed them contradictory inputs. :p

Billll

FWIW:
International commodity prices for
Lead - $.21 / lb
Tin (Sn) - $2.08 / lb
Tungsten (W) - $7.21 / lb

Your milage may vary. Tungsten price was for scrap, not a usable form for making bullets. Powdered form would be higher. Tungsten is 50% denser than lead, so would require approx. a 60/40 Tungsten / Tin mix, which would run you $5.16 / lb. :eek:
85% of the worlds Tungsten comes from the PRC, too. :(

sm

I've shot some of these--*yawn*--not impressed.
recall:
lead vs non-toxic shot for waterfowl --how many cripples? $ for someone, "spin", and don't let the people know about the NILO studies. If it ain't broke-don't fix it. If its fixed-quit working on it.

May have to break out the old slingshot, with the wooden fork and use , rocks. With all this, "smart technology" "pressed bullets" --don't think masses will replace trees and rocks for a while so you?

TexasVet

"Eat tungsten/tin, sucker!"

Actually, it would be even weirder than that. Since tin/tungsten exposed to air forms a coating of oxide called tin tungstenite, we have tin (Sn) + Oxygen (O) + tungsten (W) = Snow.
"Eat snow, sucker!!!":p