Best way to ship a rifle with scope?

chupps

I need advice on the best way to pack a rifle with scope attached. It will go USPS or UPS. Should I remove the scope?

Any packaging ideas would be helpful. Thanks.

Doyle

One way to avoid a very long box is to remove the stock from the action. Pad both with lots of bubble wrap and tape and the box length will be only as long as the action/barrel combo.

Bubble Wrap or sandwiched between 2 pieces of EggCrate Foam and then taped tight so it can't shift within the foam.

I also agree that taking the action/barrel loose from the stock will allow the use of a smaller box.

CK_32

A thick good case like this should be your best bet.

M4-gun-case.jpg

Powderman

Second the advice above.

If for whatever reason you have to ship the rifle with the scope attached, fully assembled, spring for a few extra bucks and get a Pelican case, or a Storm 3300 if you want. These cases are HEAVY--and you'll pay the tariff--but I can think of no better way to ship firearms with the assurance that they'll get there safely and in one piece.

PetahW

I've always kept my old scope boxes, and now use the boxes (even though I no longer have the scope that came in it) to encase a newspaper or bubble wrapped scope OFF the rifle - with the rifle broken down, also.

Look at it this way - whomever gets the rifle is going to have to rezero it anyway, so why not ensure it arrives intact ?

In mailing or shipping (I use USPS Insured Registered Priority Mail only), it's imperative that the shipping carton/case/whatever have ample crushable packing in & around the separate pieces, so that they are both protected from outside blows and from banging around inside, hitting each other.