• Consignment at Local Gun Store

Votes: 10 21.3%
  • Private Sale at Range

Votes: 21 44.7%
  • Gun Smith

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

jack_the_sailor

I like consignment sales. The gun store does take a % but you will sell the pistol faster. If you try to sell privately, how do you advertise? With a consignment sale the pistol sits in a gun shop where potental buyers can see it. I don't trust net sales. Unless you can meet the buyer face to face. How do you do the transaction legally? What if you send the pistol & don't get your money? Selling out right to a gun shop is fastest way but you'll get half what the pistol is worth.

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
I always like "private party transfer's" for one reason. There
is no sense in everyone knowing your personal business.:eek:

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Blackhorse

I find that getting a table at the gun shows works the best if you have a number of firearms to sell, the last time I decided to weed out the collection I took 15 guns to the gun show and came back with one.

harrydog

I would list the gun in Gun List or in the for sale area of an online forum dedicated to that particular make. I've always found buyers that way and it's hassle free.

FPrice

From your few choices, I prefer selling through my local gunstore. In my current situation I have a great relationship with him and I know that he will push my gun to the right people.

I have sold guns (a few) personally in the past, but most of the times it has been to friends or people I know. I have a hard time inviting a stranger to my house (or meeting them somewhere else even) and let him know that I have firearms.

Unfortunately the People's Commonwealth of Massachusetts requires that "private" transfers of firearms be accomplished on a Commonwealth form and submitted to the Commonwealth for their records. So private transfers really are not private.

Kermit

I like "all of the above" ;)
When I'm sell a gun, I tell as many people as possible. Of the options you list tho, I like PPT the best.

PKAY

There are combinations of the above too. For instance, I have limited my search on GA to specific handguns and my state, CA. After contacting the seller via email, then by phone, we agree to meet at the parking lot of the local range or transfer dealer. He shows me the arm, we negotiate, and if the sale goes through we go inside and effect the private transfer via all the legal means. If he is a CA resident but not local to my area, that can be a problem since both parties have to be present before the transfer dealer can perform the exchange (unless the gun is a consignment piece the dealer is selling for someone else). In selling I do not like consignments because the going rate for the dealer is 20%. The advantage, of course, is that the seller need never meet nor know the buyer, and the buyer's eligibility to purchase is handled by the dealer to whom the gun was consigned.

FPrice

jack_the_sailor...

"I don't trust net sales. Unless you can meet the buyer face to face. How do you do the transaction legally? What if you send the pistol & don't get your money?"

Very easily actually. You request the money up front. Either in a secure form (money order, etc.) or wait till the check clears. Then you send the pistol to the FFL the buyer has requested (you have also requested a copy of the license) and the FFL completes the transfer. All very legal and safe.

Under this scenario the buyer assumes virtually all of the risk. I bought a gun this way (from another TFL member) and it worked well for both of us. He got rid of a gun he didn't want and I picked up a GREAT S&W M-28 for a reasonable price.

cheygriz

Getting a table at a gunshow is probably the best way.

Not only do you get thge chance to sell, but the other dealers there will be more willing to trade for something they have that you might want.

when you have a table, you become one of the "insiders" and get a bit more respect from the other dealers.

blades67

If you are leary of an Internet sale, there are a couple of escrow services available. They hold the gun(s) until the money is recieved , by them, then they send the gun to the buyer and the money, minus their fee to the seller.

tdow

I took my Delta Elite to a gun show in a blue plastic Colt box. I must have had 20 people ask me about it as I walked around looking at stuff. I gave my number out to 2 or 3 people and sold it within a week.

--Todd Dow

PKAY

I agree with that sentiment. Thinking I would sell it, the other day I pulled out a Model 59 Smith 9mm I had purchased some years back. Had two standard capacity mags and a Pachmyr wrap around grip (as well as originals) too. Original box and paperwork. I picked it up, racked the slide, functioned it, dry fired it. Then I said to myself, "Self, this is a damn fine pistol in excellent condition." And promptly returned it to the safe. I gotta go fire that puppy.

ATTICUS

I usually sell or trade at gun shows. I like meeting the buyer in person, especially one who has been looking for that particular gun and is really excited about it. Plus.. I just enjoy the process of buying and selling at the shows.

Blue Duck357

I've sold several online. Put an add here and Glock Talk, always sold within a few days at or near price I asked, never a problem.

ATTICUS

SK-
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I usually hang an ad on the bulletin board at work.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DUDE! Where do you work?!?

That's funny. I once put an ad (Chinese SKS For Sale) on our company's electronic bulletin board. We have about 50,000 employees around the world and I had calls from a number of them asking me what a Chinese SKS is. One inquiry was a conference call from a group of women in Texas who were all laughing and told me they just wanted to know what the heck I was selling. I told them, and they just said, "OK, thanks". Everyone was actually pretty cool about it, but that was a few years ago and I doubt if I'll do it again.