Best way to sell a collectible?

Murdock

I recently made a very good deal on a classic, custom self loader that has substantial historical and collector interest. (I don't want to tease, so bear with me for not mentioning what it is at this point).

When I shopped around to locate accessories for it, I got some "if you ever want to sell it" offers to buy the gun from a few vendors. Fjestad's Blue Book lists the gun well into the 4-figure range, but I have seen them advertised much higher, (into the "I don't know what they're smoking" range) depending upon accessories. I figure that the really high listers are just trolling. One well known and respected gun person has had a couple of guns just like mine for sale on his site at a price I'd be embarrassed to ask.

Collectible stuff gets driven by emotion, so it just might be that the Blue Book is a little behind collector interest. I bought the gun with every intention of turning to over to finance other, more contemporary guns in which I have greater interest, but I am in a quandry about how best to sell the gun.

What do you think is the best venue for selling a collectible, with respect to obtaining a fair, current market price? Thanks.

Last edited:

BigJimP

It really depends on what it is - or it'll be hard to give you any serious recommendations. Some of the shops in my area could be trusted with a true collectable on cosignment - but taking it into some of the bigger shops in the area and letting them look it over is probably a good idea.

Assuming you are saying the value is under 5 figures or $ 10,000 / you're presumably talking about something around $ 5,000. $5 K isn't that big a deal to the right shooter / collector - and speaking for myself, I have a number of guns in that "4 figure range" and higher ......but its irrelevant unless you tell us what it is ??

Its no good guessing what you might mean on what a "classic, self loader is .." - are you talking semi-auto handgun, rilfe, shotgun ... or does "self loader" mean something else ... full auto maybe ??

Murdock

Yes

Armand Swenson's 1911 Bobcats come to mind, among others. I'm quite sure that many early customized 1911's -- Brown's, Wilson's and Novak's for example -- will be so regarded in the not-too-distant future.

Murdock

No games. Not really, anyway.

Sorry. I didn't want to annoy or tease; I just don't have any digital pictures yet, and I knew people would want to see. Besides, if you can't play a little bit of a game in a gun deal, what fun is that? :D

I thought my question would be broad enough to get an objective response. In other words, would it be better (likely more fun) to trade it, sell it outright, or auction it? Would I be best off at Gunsamerica , Auctionarms, Gunbroker, Shotgun News, or....? Would I be better off just keeping this thing for a year or two, then selling it? Also, I didn't want to be inundated with offers at this point, as I don't feel well enough informed as yet about how to place it, and just may want to play a little bit with the thing before I turn it over. As far as a consignment to a local shop is concerned, I only got as good a buy on it as I did because they were too young to know what this thing was in the shop that sold it, so I don't think they would be especially good at marketing it for me. They got it in an estate sale, and listed it in their bound book only as a "customized S&W." There aren't enough people in my rural area to make this a competitive market for purchasers, so I'm looking for a broader venue.

The gun is a S&W ASP 9mm as modified by Armament Systems & Procedures of Appleton WI. As such, it is one of the later guns in production. It started life as a M439, rather than the usual 39-2. Three magazines come with it, two of which are in the original wrapper. There are no cracks in the Lexan grips. The only wear in the Teflon S finish is on the safety and some of the high points.

If you look on Novak's site, he has a picture of one that was already sold that is in the same condition as the one I have, easily about 95%, with wear in the same places. Another is up for sale on that site for $2450, with a rug and magazine holder. Blue Book is up to $1500 in 100%, but obviously people are looking for considerably more. One version -- complete with a dagger and a case that looks like a book -- pushes 5 grand in some quarters. So prices are allover the place.

So, is it a classic? I think so. Is it historical? Yup: The first gun coated in Teflon S, the first with Lexan grips to view the magazine contents, it has the funky "Guttersnipe" sight, a hooked trigger guard, etc.

Casimer

There are auction houses that specialize in collectible firearms. They'll promote the auction, establish the 'provenance' of the piece, and see to it that any resulting transaction is executed properly - of course they take a commission from the buyer a/o seller on the sale price for all this. But a reputable house with knowledgable staff 'should' be able to get you more than you can on your own.

Murdock

There are auction houses that specialize in collectible firearms.

The only one I am familiar with is James Julia's, here in Maine. They are probably the best one in the Solar System (they did over $11.3 million at the one last year), but their annual auction is underway now, so this year is not an option.

Any others I should consider?

BigJimP

Photos don't matter to our discussion on that gun, in my opinion. I think you just need to get it to a dealer that has a website or someone that has a lot of higher end traffic thru their shop - or maybe Novak's website ( I don't know who Novak is ...sorry). It sounds like you've done your homework on the gun and already know what its worth/what others have sold for - so just set your price and put it on consignment and see if it sells.

With the economy getting a little soft - frankly I think you might have to hang onto it for awhile. I think the market may soften quickly on a special S&W like that / and you run the risk of it losing 25% - 50% of its perceived value in a heartbeat and you might have to hold it long term to get some interest in it.

I hope you have good luck with it. Frankly, in the Seattle area, I don't think there's a market anywhere near $ 3 K for that gun. I think out here you'd have trouble selling it for $ 1,500 - $2,500 at least among collectors I know. I understand you think its special for a number of reasons - but it may not have long term staying power in terms of value. Honestly, I'd recommend you sell it while there is some interest in the others that have sole - kind of ride their coat tails so to speak.

dajowi

Take any reasonable offer. You're never going to get out of it what you think it's worth - ever! Anyone who's ever sold a second hand gun knows that. Anyone who's ever spent a small fortune customizing any gun know that. You can wait around forever for the one person who thinks the gun is worth what you think it is, but by the time that happens the funds will have to be deposited into your nursing home escrow account.:D:D:D

bluetopper

No question, put it up on gunbroker.com...........

You do not have to have a firearms license to do so.

I've done it many times.

crazy charlie

I didn't read all the posts blow by blow, but I've found Blue Books are what dealers quote you when you want to sell or trade, but in the real world it comes down to desireability of the buyer.
There are forums like S&W and Ruger, etc. that can give you a lot of good answers.
I recently posted a German pistol with questions to the p38 forum. I had seen a pistol similar to mine at auction that didn't get sold as the reserve was way high and the auction was in Europe. I got a private e-mail from a serious licensed collector, e-mailed photos, and said no guarantees, you buy it no returns and the rest is history. He's happy as a bug in a rug, I got a couple of pistols I didn't have before and I've still got some boot money left over.

CraigC

Wasn't there an article written sometime in the last year or so about the ASP pistols? I would research and find as much information as I could, especially on sales in the last few years. Ask around on the S&W forum as well. Determine what I would consider a good minimum and put it on Gunbroker with that as my opening bid. Just be realistic in what you expect or else you'll be trying to sell it for a long time.