Best way to pay for a non local gun

Bender711

I found a great deal on the gun I want but the guy is a 1000miles away so there needs to be some shipping to my FFL done. Now my question is what is the best way to pay for it? Paypal seems out since they tend to not like guns and I dont know much about any other way. Thanks for the help guys!

Pahoo

Suggest you ask the seller what is acceptable to him. You can also get a USP money order or cashier's check. If he accepts it, you can also pay with a personal check. If it's a business or comoany, a credit card would work. PAY-Pal can take a hike as far as I'm concerned. ... :mad:

Be Safe !!!

oneounceload

Of the last two guns I have sold, USPS money orders have been used by the buyer - quick and for the most part, secure - they help speed things up

turbotype87

paying options

I have just purchased a Springfield Armory M1A, Not to lond ago. It was a out of state purchase. I found it was easier to send Money Order from the USPS. The transaction went smoothly and i received the rifle within 5 days after they received the M.O.

sourdough44

I usually ask if they will take a check. If so I tell them to ship whenever they are comfortable. It's just easier for me. I have feedback from various sources I can offer up. Some sellers have particulars you have to go by if you want to buy from them though.

Actually, a U.S. Postal money order is good for you as well as for him. Be sure to mail it, and request a Certificate of mailing to document that it went to him through the U.S. mail. The reason is that, if you aren't satisfied that the gun is as described and he gets to playing games with you -- you can sic the postal inspectors on him for mail fraud. Even if he ships the gun by UPS or FedEx, he accepted payment through the mail, so he's on the hook.

The good news is that, since he requested a postal money order, he is probably aware of this and therefore probably on the up-and-up.

RaySendero

sourdough44 wrote:
I usually ask if they will take a check. If so I tell them to ship whenever they are comfortable. It's just easier for me. .....

Ditto - I usually ask if they will take a check and offer to let them delay shipment until the check clears. All I've done business with have been OK with this so far. Some don't even wait for the check to clear.

Smokey Joe

My results...

Bender 711--If you don't mind the wait, and they don't mind the personal check, so be it. I always want a new firearm by yesterday at breakfast, so I haven't your patience. And if I were the seller, I wouldn't accept your personal check--too easy to steal some checks, fake a signature, etc, etc. You do know that AFTER the check clears, and you send off your firearm in good faith, and then the check turns out to be phony, you are on the hook to your bank to pay the bank back? (You promised the bank it was good when you cashed it.) It's up to you to see to it that the maker of the bad check makes it good.

All of the firearms I have bought long-distance have been paid for with USPS money orders. These can be counterfeited--heck, anything can be counterfeited if it's worth enough to somebody--but what with the USPS Inspectors getting after people who do so, it probably isn't worth it for the price of even quite an expensive firearm. If we're talking many thousands of $$, then probably a bank-to-bank transfer, all financial and guaranteed and legal and formal (not to mention stuffy, time-wasting, and expensive) would be the way to go, but that's quite beyond the scope of the price of any gun you'd just order.

Hadn't thought of the Postal Fraud angle pointed out by Aguila Blanca, but that's one more point in favor of USPS MO's.

Anyhow, they've worked just fine for me.

Last edited: