Best Way To Keep Hammerless Coach Gun?

MK11

I understand not leaving the gun with the action closed to save the hammer springs. But at what point do the hammers actually cock, when the action is first broken open? Is it feasible to leave the action broken up with shells inserted, so you just need to close it (and push off the auto-safety)?

oneounceload

If you're just talking about a fun gun for safe storage, get some snap caps and release the hammers by pulling the trigger........if you're talking about keeping it loaded for HD, then assess your particular situation regarding kids, etc......if there are no issues, keep it loaded with the safety....but you need to make sure you know how to use it under stress in the dark without hurting yourself....

MK11

I'm asking specifically about how to keep the coach gun in some state of readiness without overtaxing the springs.

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
Short of a defective/improper metal, a spring will not fail from normal compression within intended range. A spring could, in theory, fail from excessive compression-decompression cycles.
Brent

oneounceload

A spring could, in theory, fail from excessive compression-decompression cycles.
Brent

Actually, that is how a spring does fail.....keeping springs under tension does not make them fail, constantly compressing and decompressing is what does.

IF you feel comfortable having the gun loaded with the safety on, then do so - it won't hurt the springs any; besides I'm sure you WILL be taking it out and practicing now and again, right?? ;)

B.L.E.

To answer your first question, most all hammerless doubles cock on opening. If you want to open the gun without cocking the hammers, remove the forend before opening the gun. If you disable the automatic safety, you may be able to decock it without snapping by holding both triggers back as you close the gun. With an auto safety or single selective trigger, all you can do is snap it.

Nite Ryder

Hammerless Coach Guns

To quote B.L.E.

To answer your first question, most all hammerless doubles cock on opening. If you want to open the gun without cocking the hammers, remove the forend before opening the gun. If you disable the automatic safety, you may be able to decock it without snapping by holding both triggers back as you close the gun. With an auto safety or single selective trigger, all you can do is snap it.

There you have your answer to your question. A 'Coach Gun' is probably not the best choice for home defense, but it's better than the choice some people might have. I would have to leave my coach guns with the action opened (yes, the hammers are cocked in this position) and shells in the barrels, because all of the safety's on my SXS's have been disconnected so it wouldn't be safe to leave them with the barrel closed. You would almost need some kind of specially made rack to hold the gun unless you left it in a corner with the action open and barrels pointed toward the floor.

NR

oneounceload

You would almost need some kind of specially made rack to hold the gun

I would think one of the "Y" shaped atv holders, screwed into the wall at the proper height would hold it snug enough, yet make it immediately accessible. The question becomes, can you safely retrieve it and get it ready in the dark with your heart and mind racing?

James R. Burke

I like to stay on the safe side of things just me. Closed, and empty safety on, and shot off. If needed open load shut, and shoot. Just me.