Best way to fix or cover blemishes to stock?

pabuckslayer08

What are some of the best ways to fix blemishes to a wood stock, I was going to try touching it up but then it will darker. The marks on my gun are not really scratches but small chips like the poly pealed back and brought the stain with it.

Picher

The only right way is to completely refinish the stock, but short of that, you could try a thinned varnish stain, applied with a toothpick in multiple layers. It won't be perfect, but after sanding the spots flat with 500 grit, a final application and polishing/waxing, should look better.

Last edited:

wogpotter

Before you give up try Lowes, yes Lowes as in home improvement centers Lowes.
They stock a product called "Olde English scratch remover" it comes in light & dark & they can be mixed for in-between shades. It is designed for furniture, but works on lots of chips & dings to poly finishes. IIRC its about $5.00 a bottle & that will last for ever.

pabuckslayer08

Ok well Ill try those 2 things out first since they require no real hard work like sanding which I really want to avoid. I need some sort of bolt covers for my guns because I stick them in my safe the the bolts on the other guns rub the stuck right above the trigger guard