Best way to dye holster from tan to black?

TenRing

I plan to buy a 4" Ruger Redhawk .44 Magnum revolver. Also, I plan to buy this Galco outdoorsman holster for it. http://store.packinheatleather.com/bgadaoduacou.html

The thing is I want a black holster to match my belt but it is only offered in tan. What is the best way to dye the holster black? I want to do it right so the color stays in and the dye doesn't rub off on my clothes. Thanks for input.

egor20

Agree with IRock, its not worth the time to re-dye it, I tried with a scabbard once, it was a disaster

Pahoo

Most holsters are sealed after stain is applied. I would look for a black holster.
This is true and for lack of a better word, it's a type of laquor. Simular to, if not a product like what Tandy sells, called Neat-Lac. If you are lucky, you can remove this with a product called Wil-Bond or simular solvent, by wiping it off. Might want to practice on the back side. Once there, use a spirit dye, also sold by Tandy. Has to be a spirit dye in order to get the penetration required. Also may have to apply multiple coats. All the time, working in a well ventilated shace. Or, buy a black holster. ...... ;)

Be Safe !!!

TenRing

Thanks for all the feedback. Now I'm looking for a black holster. The last thing I want to do is buy a $75 holster and spend $300 worth of my time into changing it.

Edward429451

I had a brown M1A sling that I colored with (3) black magic markers and it is as black as black gets and has never bled. The poorman/lazyman way of doing it effectively. Black ink is black stain.:D

TenRing

Egor20, thanks for the links! This seems to be just what I need and it comes in plain black. The price can't be beat. Thanks again!!

I'll put my 2 cents in. I have a brown Don Hume holster that I dyed black using KIWI leather dye. I cleaned the holster well using denatured alcohol with a scotch brite pad. It only took about 3 coats to get a real good black finish. After it dried overnight, I gave it a good coat of black paste shoe polish. I haven't had any problem with dye rubbing off.

TenRing

I've heard of people doing it that way but I have never tried it myself. Thanks for the tip. It is bound to come in handy since I have a number of tan holsters that I want to turn black. I tend to wear black belts and the grips on my guns are black. I also like the fact that black holsters don't stand out as much if they accidently get exposed.