Best way to clean mags?

Skippy

That would do it but would be overkill.

I clean my range mags twice a year (weekly shooting) by taking them apart, clean everything with solvent and a brush, wipe the spring coils with a rag, dry well and pull a silicone cloth through the mag and wipe the follower with same, inspect for cracks and deformed feed lips and slap them back together.

Don't oil them.

Takes about five minutes per magazine.

TunnelRat

I’ll be honest and say that I have magazines that haven’t been cleaned in hundreds of rounds through each, but I generally keep a separate set of magazines for carry and the range. When I do clean magazines I disassemble them and use a bore brush and an old cotton shirt.

Pahoo

Not really

Do I really need to buy an ultrasonic to properly clean my 22 and 45 mags?
As others have stated, Solvent, brush and patches, pretty much gets the job done. As to how often, y experience, you wil pretty much know when it's time to clean. I do apply a light weather resistant film, inside and out. Turrently using a B&C product, call "Sheild". Another product I use, is "Strong-Arm"... :)

Be Safe !!!

JohnKSa

Administrator
I usually clean mine with a plastic brush. Just brush off the lips and anything else that looks like it needs it. Since there's no oil on the mags to begin with, that is usually adequate to clean them.

Then a wipedown with a silicone cloth and they're good to go.

Once in a while I will disassemble them, brush them inside and out, wipe off any fouling around the lips, if necessary, wipe them down inside and out with a silicone cloth and then reassemble.

Pahoo

Your way !!!

Best way to clean mags?
There really is no "Best-Way"; Just what works best for you and I'm sure there are some folks who will use and ultrasonic cleaner. A friend of mine, uses a small plastic bucket with a screen at the bottom and filled with mineral spirits. Just soaks his mags for a couple of of days or so. removes them and lets them air dry. He's happy ...... :D

Be Safe !!!

Electrod47

They are simple to disassemble and clean. Just one of the minor chores that come with gun ownership. Helps keep you familiar with your piece.

Jim Watson

As an extreme case, I have salvaged rusted magazines by disassembling them and running them through the rotary tumbler in steel pins and water. Getting four springs untangled afterwards is a challenge, though.

Hellcat1

There really is no "Best-Way"; Just what works best for you and I'm sure there are some folks who will use and ultrasonic cleaner. A friend of mine, uses a small plastic bucket with a screen at the bottom and filled with mineral spirits. Just soaks his mags for a couple of of days or so. removes them and lets them air dry. He's happy ...... :D

Be Safe !!!
I'm curious as to whether your friend disassembles the mags first, or keeps them assembled when using the mineral spirits method. The reason I'm wondering is because unfortunately, I live in a state with a 10 round mag limit, so I've had to install magblocks in many of my mags, and either epoxy or rivet the baseplate onto the body. I've been wondering how the heck I can clean them without being able to disassemble them.

Frank

totaldla

Harbor Freight brushes. I use Johnson's Paste Wax to lube the inside of the mags. I've also used Lucas Slick Mist successfully.
Some folks use silicone dry lubricant.

I've bought used Police magazines that were chalk full of crud - obviously never cleaned. No reason to not clean them.

RickB

What, you don't just swish them around in a puddle on the range floor?
After doing that, they still need to be disassembled and wiped down, so the spring doesn't rust.
I prefer clean and dry on the inside, with no more lube/preservative than the ubiquitous oily rag on the spring to prevent rust.

Skippy

I'm curious as to whether your friend disassembles the mags first, or keeps them assembled when using the mineral spirits method. The reason I'm wondering is because unfortunately, I live in a state with a 10 round mag limit, so I've had to install magblocks in many of my mags, and either epoxy or rivet the baseplate onto the body. I've been wondering how the heck I can clean them without being able to disassemble them.

Frank
That does complicate things a bit. I can't answer for someone else, but I'm guessing you could just toss them into a bucket of mineral spirits for a few hours, press the follower down and wipe the feed lips, drip dry or blow dry with compressed air and call it good. In your case a sonic cleaner would get the job done but still probably unnecessary.

Avoiding dirty ammo is also a good idea.

Hellcat1

That does complicate things a bit. I can't answer for someone else, but I'm guessing you could just toss them into a bucket of mineral spirits for a few hours, press the follower down and wipe the feed lips, drip dry or blow dry with compressed air and call it good. In your case a sonic cleaner would get the job done but still probably unnecessary.

Avoiding dirty ammo is also a good idea.

Thanks for the suggestion, Skippy. I will certainly give the mineral spirits a try when my mags are due for some cleaning. It's not currently an issue for me since I'm primarily using revolvers because of a couple of recent rounds of hand surgery which make it difficult to use anything but revolvers...for now.

Frank

Pahoo

Yep !!!

That is pretty much it but just let them "Drip-Dry". Also slosh them a bit. He also cleans other firearm parts as well. Parts and magazines my sit for a number of days. After a time, you can see the dirt at the bottom of the bucket and nice to be able to reuse the mineral sprits. Will add that "some" mineral spirits leave a light surface film. Be sure the bucket has a good tight lid and I prefer the regular mineral spirits. ...... :)

Be Safe !!!

Bob Willman

I disassemble my .45 mags every few months and brush them internally to get the lint out from carrying every day and wipe off the rounds they contain.

NRA Benefactor

Hellcat1

That is pretty much it but just let them "Drip-Dry". Also slosh them a bit. He also cleans other firearm parts as well. Parts and magazines my sit for a number of days. After a time, you can see the dirt at the bottom of the bucket and nice to be able to reuse the mineral sprits. Will add that "some" mineral spirits leave a light surface film. Be sure the bucket has a good tight lid and I prefer the regular mineral spirits. ...... :)

Be Safe !!!
Thanks for the clarification.

Frank

Rojack79

That would do it but would be overkill.

I clean my range mags twice a year (weekly shooting) by taking them apart, clean everything with solvent and a brush, wipe the spring coils with a rag, dry well and pull a silicone cloth through the mag and wipe the follower with same, inspect for cracks and deformed feed lips and slap them back together.

Don't oil them.

Takes about five minutes per magazine.

ballardw

Oils tend to make dust/lint stick. Long enough and you can have enough build up to affect performance. Then in a moist climate the dust/lint traps moisture leading to rust.

Dry, or a dry film lube like silicon sprays, less likely. Climate and your treatment may vary effects.

RickB

Lube inside the magazine tube can lead to inertia feed.
I put some "slick" product inside three or four mags, and the gun could then not get through one without a double feed or live round stovepipe.