Best value scope on 700?

Ed Dixon

I know I'd find lots of opinions in the archives but I get to plead no-search-feature at the moment. I'm looking to pick up a Rem. 700 Mountain Rifle in the near future and was wondering what's the best scope I could put on it for about $300 (less mounts). It'll probably be .30-06, but I'm also considering .308. I don't have a large caliber bolt gun yet and I'm thinking this one will be my one and only for a good while. I'd like to think it'll get a workout out west, as well as the whitetails here and maybe even some hogs down south. In other words, an all-purpose, long-term purchase. I'm open to suggestions on scope brands, models, and power.

Chugach

Ed, I think for a general hunting scope you'd be hard pressed to find anything better than a 3 - 9 variable in either 40 or 50mm objective. The 50mm will give you an edge in early morning or late evening light. I have a VariX-II Leupold 3-9X 40mm mounted on my .30-06, and a VariX-II 3-9X 50mm mounted on my .17 H.M.R. They've both served me well and the quality of the scopes is very good for less than $300.

If you're hunting open country in the West, the 9X should work fine. For closer-in hunting in the South, you'll probably use 3X or 4X.

Leupold is an American company.

The VariX-II scope line was discontinued by Leupold recently. The new comparable scope series is the VX-II which still remains at under $300 for the 40mm.

If you don't have to have the absolute latest and greatest, you can still find the VariX-II on clearance. I was able to pick up the 3-9X50 for $270 about 4 months ago.

Good luck!

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Isn't the mountain rifle a 20" or 22" barrel? If so, the .308 will likely give better performance than the '06.

I tend to support the selection of a Leupold, and either a good used Vari-X II or the new version in 3x9 at most.

If you're sitting in a stand/blind in "short-range" country, the 3x is good for poor light--plus it gives a wider field of view. In wide-open country, you can generally do best with it set on around 5X or maybe 6X; if you see a buck at a distance you'll have plenty of time to crank it up for final judgement. If you're walking and hunting, covering a lot of country, you keep the scope set low since field of view is far more important than other factors. If you're set on 9X and step on Ol' Bucky and try to shoot him at 25 yards or so, you feel just really, really stoopid when all you see is an ear or a tine or an unknown mass of brown hair...

I had no trouble pulling off a 350-yard quick shot on a buck with my scope set at 3X. This proved to me that lots of magnification isn't really all that necessary.

$0.02, Art

Ed Dixon

Yeah, Art, it's a 22" barrel. All but a couple stainless/synthetic models in the .30-06 are. Just noticed the .308 isn't even offered in the Mountain Rifle, so guess I'm nailed down to the .30-06. It was the aesthetics of the MR over the BDL that swayed me, not the 3/4 lb. lighter weight.

Thanks for the input, Chugach. Looks like Leupold so far. Not surprised.

P-990

Hmm... I almost picked up that exact same rifle. But I decided at the last minute that my Mountain Rifle might as well be a short action. Ergo, I have a .260 in the safe now! ;)

As for a scope, pick up a Leupold. No need for anything else, IMHO.

SHIVAN

I will dissent here.....

The new Weaver Grand Slam model is available in 3-10 power for about or less than $299. The optics are every bit as sharp as any VariX scope I have seen. I believe their warranty now matches Leupold and you are basically getting superior optics (VariXIII range/class) for middle ground prices (VarixII)

However, if I am wrong about Weaver's warranty changes and they are NOT lifetime then the better value in the long run (assuming you will keep the scope forever) is the Leupold.

So in my estimation you are giving up nothing on the top end in power and getting the same quality and lower power magnification. Again I, and many many others compare this scope outside it's price point to the VariX III line not Vari X II.

FWIW......

Ed

WYO

I certainly can't argue with people who recommend Leupold. I will add that I have been very pleased with a Nikon Monarch 3x9, which Cabelas lists for $299.

cratz2

I currently own or have used in the past the Weaver Grand Slam, Nikon Monarch, Leupold IIs and IIIs, Baush & Lomb (Bushnell) 3200. I would classify the 3200s as a good value but below the rest overall. The Nikons have nice clear optics but I've heard questionably things about their customer service with warranty issues and can't really justify their cost because of this.

This leaves the Leupolds and the Weaver. If cost is not an option, the IIIs would probably get the nod but the 3.5-10 are in the over $400 category.

I'd never thought much one way or the other about Weavers until I got my first one (from Shivan, by the way) and it is really an excellent looking scope. Mine is mounted on a 270 but we were also shooting a 223 the same day and it was easy to see the 223 holes (at 10x) at 100 yards which was not nearly as easy with the 4-16 BSA mounted on the 223. Certainly apples and oranges, but just an example.

I'd say the Grand Slams are comparable to the VariX IIIs but probably not 'better'. They are certainly better than the IIs. And while I can't personally comment on their durability or customer service, a local shop owner that is very honest swears by them.

I'd get a Grand Slam. I have one that I am supremely happy with and would not hesitate to get another one.