Best use of AA#7?

sawdustdad

I ran across some AA#7 last year during the shortage and bought a couple bottles on a whim, figuring I'd find a use for it. Haven't yet.

What is your favorite use of AA#7?

The places where I have used it is for .357 magnum, .357 Sig, and 40 S&W. It will work in 9 mm when you are loading towards the upper end with 124 and 147 grain jacketed bullets. In .357 magnum you probably won't get the maximum velocity you could with some slower powders. I doubt you will find a more accurate powder to use loading .357 magnum. I find this powder works best between mid-range and upper levels of published data. It is a very fine powder so it may leak a little in some powder measures. With Dillon powder measures, it measures extremely well.

SHR970

Hot 115 or 124 gr. 9mm. I don't usually load 147 gr but it works REAL good here too.

Snub 125 gr. 357 loads. It really shines in my SP101 here.

Not quite full throttle 158 gr. 357 loads & 240 gr. 44 mag loads.

115 gr. 32 H&R RUGER ONLY loads

I like it enough that I buy it in 8 lb jugs.

BBarn

I've used it the 44 Mag., where it works well if you want something a little less than the max velocity provided by #9, H110, etc.

It flows very well through my Uniflow.

My only complaint is that the powder has been sourced from at least 3 different countries over the years, and recommended loads have varied quite a bit at the same time. If you have the latest version which is made in the USA, and use the current data, you should be fine.

Shotgun Slim

My favorite use of #7 is in my 40s. I can load it under a coated 175 swc and run it hot for bowling pins or load it down until it won't run the gun anymore with no problems with inconsistencies at all. For my money nothing gives me the balance of power/accuracy/recoil better. It loads very well in 357 and 9mm also and I don't know if there is a better all around powder for 10mm. I'm sleeping better these days because I have two fresh 8# jugs of #7 in my reloading room.

NoSecondBest

I got it for my 9x21 and it worked the best with the heavier bullets in that gun. It works reasonably well in my 357mags....not the best but pretty darn good. Good accuracy and velocity. It's third on my list for that caliber right after 296 and 2400. If it's all I had I'd be satisfied with using it.

Easy to measure. Full case powder weights (No worry of overcharging.)_High velocity's._Decent amount of muzzle flash for shock & awe._Expect to see excellent accuracy._ What's not too like about it?~~~~nothing!! > its perfect. My powder of choice for many years in my 9-MM squeeze cocker M8 and when I had one of these for my target shooting pleasure.> S/W 686 357 6".

Mike / Tx

I like it enough that I buy it in 8 lb jugs.

Yep, so far since Sept. I have run through 4# worth in 9mm only.

I load it in just about everything mentioned above and maybe a few not mentioned. It just works.....

zeke

Like others, am liking it for 124 gn 9mm jhp and 125 grain jhp 357 mag (mag primers). Have started trying it in 45 acp with 230 jhp, and it appears to be working quite well there also (standard primer). Next will be .40 s&w.

Chucky64

Love that #7

Has always been my go to powder for 357sig and economical 357 mag
reloads. Wish I had 8 pounds of it, during this last shortage I had to look
for alternatives and now feel like I have to use up the alternatives for
going back to Acc # 7.

My biggest problem with AA 7 is that it is incredibly fine and leaked through my Lee Auto Disk Pro like it was a sieve.

Other than that, it's a fantastic powder.

Mauser69

My biggest problem with AA 7 is that it is incredibly fine and leaked through my Lee Auto Disk Pro like it was a sieve.
You have something wrong with your powder measure - I use Accurate #7 (and other fine ball powders) with my Lee Pro Auto-Disk with no leaking.