Best trimmer

Tony Z

I need guidance on best trimmer, with consideration towards accuracy and ease of use.

Thanks in advance!

T.

Last edited:

turtlehead

I use the Giraud Tri-Way trimmer for .223. It trims, chamfers and deburs at the same time. Chucks into a cheap drill. Works great. But they are caliber specific and $100 for each one. Worth every penny IMO.

daboone

The Wilson Trimmer is a seriously accurate precision trimmer. Sinclair has added some upgrades similar to Wilson own upgrades. Each caliber has to have a case holder (there are some crossovers). If you want a visually beautiful as well as precision trimming lathe be sure to consider it. It's not inexpensive just worth it.
For plinking I use the lee case length gauge trimmers.

RC20

Ok, my take on this is how many cartridges do you plan on doing in the future?

Cartridges, not number of cases.

The best trimmers also chamfer and deburr.

The Gerard Tri Trimmer is a delight of well built and works great. Also cost $100

For two or there cartridges , can't beat em.

NOTE: Chuck up in a drill, turn drill upside down, clamp in vice, turn off. You have a motorized trimmer that you can use both hands with and almost as good as the Gerard Motorized unit.

Gearard did not make the Tri Timmer in my latest caliber (7.5 Swiss)

So I looked at the options. The best seemd to be a thing called Trim It II.

It ran $130 with the shoulder insert for the 7.5 caliber (which they have)

Now for about $20 I can add a caliber. I do have to adjust the blade though its nicely done on the Trim it II.

Have not grown cases so don't know how that would go ops wise. Its been through some variations and its much better now than when they started.

Little Crow makes a nice one, also inserts, but its a square end cut.

Boat tail bullets should not car but they do feed better into a chamfered end than a square.

The best is the Gerard Motorized, around $500, new sets are 30 or so, but I believe that covers the blades and the adaptor.

RC20

The Tri, Gerarad, Little Crow and Trim IT all index off the shoulder.

That gets you about .003 accuracy. Very ncie.

I will also had I had one of the chuck up trimmers.

As there are variations between the base and the shoulder, you can't set them to trim right.

You have to trim, check, ok, or trim more. Pain in the butt

Once the off the shoulder type are set, you just process brass.

I don't even bother to measure. Once a single case is long enough, I just run the entire bunch through and even them up. Saves a lot of time.

BobCat45

Used an old-style Forster for years, worked fine but I got tired of cranking.

Got a Giraud Tri-Way for match brass (high volume of one caliber) and it is worth every penny!

Still use the Forster for calibers I don't shoot hundreds of rounds, but for .223 for Midrange the Giraud can't be beat.

hounddawg

I am currently using at the old school Wilson but I am looking hard at the Giraud. It would be nice to trim, chamfer and debur all at once with no hand cranking involved. Took me about 45 min this morning to do what could have been done in 15

Tony Z,

Part of the issue is knowing not only how many cases per batch, but how many different chamberings they will come from, and also how often you will run a batch. The Wilson trimmer is very accurate and repeatable, and I use it for my low volume cartridges and it doesn't cost a lot to accommodate a new chambering with it. However, as mentioned, if you were doing a batch every night, you'd get tired of the effort. Plus, you still have to chamfer and deburr separately. You could go for an electric screwdriver attachment to cut down on cranking, but the wonderful precision does come at the cost of speed.

I use the Giraud for .30-06, .308 W, and .223; my volume rifle rounds. It's very fast but at $460 for the first chambering and $45 for each additional chambering (more, if you buy separate cutters to avoid that part of the setup with a changeover), it costs more than a number of my handguns did. You have to be unable get the time to trim or need that time more than the money to go this route.

The Gracey trimmer, an older design with about half the power of the Giraud, also has a simultaneous trim, chamfer, and deburr cutter and costs about $100 less when you get it with one case holder. The literature say it can trim 20 cases a minute in one place, but then says 300/hour (5 cases a minute) in another place. I would say the second number is more realistic, at least, for .30 cal. The Giraud can go very fast, but in order not to get carpel-tunnel syndrome, I probably run at something like 10-12 a minute with it. One plus for the Gracey is they make a cutter for it that will do outside neck turning, if that's one of your needs. I watched the Sinclair guys demonstrate that a number of years back using their case holder. It was pretty fast compared to doing it by hand. The Giraud now has a bullet meplat uniforming cutter if that interests you.

There are now some in between options. There are trimmers that may be used with a variable speed drill, like the Possum Hollow (needs the adapter for the drill) and the WFT. These are a good choice if you have just one chambering or family of chamberings. But you need a different one for every case family so that if you are doing a wide variety, the savings over a Giraud or a Gracey start to evaporate. Plus, you still have to chamfer and deburr separately with these.

The most economical route, if you don't need any kind of adjustability, is the Lee system. Those trimmers work just fine. You buy one cutter and get and lock stud and buy what Lee calls their "case gauges" and shell holder sets for each caliber to use with it. They also have better handles for the cutters available. They have their Zip Trim device with optional speed chuck to go faster. You can also use an electric drill to drive the cutter. Again, you need to chamfer and deburr afterward. But if you average 100 rounds a week or more of just one chambering and maybe 50 a year with a rifle you carry hunting, then investing in a motorized trimmer for the one you shoot a lot and using a Lee trimmer for the low volume chambering would make perfect sense to me. Lee tools may be lacking in finish, but their operating principles are often sound, and this is one of those instances. The repeatability is as good as the Wilson, but just not readily adjustable (you can grind it to trim shorter, but going longer is not possible).

There are also the older lathe-style trimmer designs by Forster, RCBS, Redding and Lyman. There was a time when these were the cat's meow. However, a lot of folks complain about the chucks slipping or not centering a case. The one upgrade I am aware of is that RCBS did come out with a tri-cutter for theirs that does the chamfer and deburr at the same time. Lot of hand cranking, still, though.

Tony Z

Thanks one and all. I've had and used a Lyman for nearly forty years-chuck slips and
I'm tired of the cranking!

Lots of reading in this thread and I may have some questions about specific models.

NHSHOOTER

I picked up a frankfort arsenal electric trimmer a short time ago and for it works great. Does chamfering, deburring and primer pockets, easy to change for different calibers. FWIW..

Yes it does, but just to be clear, the chamfer and deburr are separate operations, albeit faster and easier than turning the cutters by hand. Another good in-between choice as it is more economical than the Giraud or the Gracey. RCBS has a universal motorized case prep center that does the trimming and other operations, too, but it costs more.