Best trigger on a semi-auto .22 rifle

wbw

I'll admit that I'm sort of obsessed with having a good trigger. I currently have a 10/22 that has been worked on some and has a Volquartsen trigger group. It breaks very cleanly at 2.5 lbs. I had this rifle built about 10 years ago when I had more disposable income than I do now. So anyway, I'm looking to maybe get another semi .22 rifle. Is there one out there that would have a trigger that's around 3 lbs or less out of the box? I'm willing to spend up to $500, maybe $550 tops, but hopefully less. Is there such an animal, or do I need to get a gunsmith to lighten up a Savage 64 trigger, or have another 10/22 built with the VQ trigger group? I was hoping for something other than a 10/22 since I already have one.

Any ideas? Thanks.

zukiphile

Does it have to be a semi-auto?

For that sort of money, I would get a CZ and Brooke's spring kit if they are still made. I bought my kit (a little bag with what looks like pen springs of various weights) about a decade ago.

I think it was $12, and I would guess that my trigger is about two pounds.

Last edited:

MarkCO

Have you considered an AR22? You can put a dedicated 22AR upper on a lower with a match grade trigger. In autos, if you don't want another 10/22, the AR22 is the way to go. Marlin 795/7000 is another option.

Pahoo

Volquartsen or Magnum Research

I routinely do trigger jobs on 10/22's and it's really hard to beat that basic action. My target is always 2.5 or less and 1.5 suits me better. ... ;)

The best, out of the box that I have shot and I'm sure there are some just as good, Is a Volquartsen or Magnum Research. In fact, it was the Magnum Research that got me started on 10/22 trigger work. There is noting wrong with the Marlin-60 but there is not much you can do with their tuning and they are not as easy to work with as a 10/22. .... ;)

Be Safe !!!

steveNChunter

The 10/22 trigger is crap out of the box, but that Volquartsen HP action kit for $99 from MidwayUSA is hard to beat. I just recently installed one in my 10/22 and it took the trigger pull from 7 pounds to 2 pounds with the hammer, bushings, sear, trigger(which is overtravel adjustable), and all the springs. It also included the bolt hold-open mod, extended mag release, and buffer pin. While I was in there I also installed the VQ sure strike firing pin, a fresh firing pin spring, and the VQ exact edge ecxtractor. It made it function like an entirely different rifle and improved the accuracy as well.

You may not want another 10/22 and that's fine, but with a $550 budget you could pick up a decent used 10/22 for under $200 and spend $350 on aftermarket parts and/or optics, and the end result would likely be better than buying a more expensive rifle.

If you indeed decide to go with something other than a 10/22, my vote is for the CZ 512. Its a little more expensive than some of its competition but the quality is well worth the price. They go for a little over $400 new IIRC. Also nothing wrong with the Marlin model 60 and they have a decent factory trigger

wbw

Pahoo mentions the Magnum Research rifle. I've been looking at the Magnum Research MLR22AT. They use Ruger's 10/22 trigger group. I don't know if they massage it or not. But if the trigger is decent, all I would need to do is get a scope. Hmmmm.......

DAVID NANCARROW

I don't know if I got lucky or if Ruger does something better with their 10/22 T models, but mine came from the factory with a very nice trigger. My other 10/22 is a sporter model and the trigger was what you would expect-functional but pretty creepy. I ordered a Power Custom hammer and sear, took a few minutes to install and it made all the difference.

You might not want a heavy barreled 22, but the T shoots very well. The only limitation is that it has a Bentz style chamber, so CCI Stingers are supposed to be a no-no.

cslinger

For a no muss, no fuss option. Get a 10/22 and yank the stock trigger pack out replace with a VQ or KIDD unit both are fantastic triggers that completely change the little 10/22 from a passable handy plinker into a darn good rifle.

Chris

Pahoo

Make sure to get your monies worth !!!

They use Ruger's 10/22 trigger group. I don't know if they massage it or not. But if the trigger is decent, all I would need to do is get a scope. Hmmmm.......
They are far from a stock triggers and drastically better. I seriously doubt that they rework the OEM parts as it would really be a waste of their time. As I stated, I routinely do trigger work on Ruger OEM's and out of the box, these MR's are impressive. Goes beyond your routine trigger job. No, to be honest, I have never taken an MR or Volts apart to inspect the parts but really don't need to. I have inspected other trigger shop work and found some, not so good. Now, back to the MR's, one "flick" of the finger and it's operation, will impress you. The Volts are equally good. ..... :)
I don't know if I got lucky or if Ruger does something better with their 10/22 T models, but mine came from the factory with a very nice trigger.
As far as the trigger housing goes, they really don't do much. I know the hammers are different and they may have a different trigger spring but that's about it and yes, better than the standard. .... :rolleyes:
For a no muss, no fuss option. Get a 10/22 and yank the stock trigger pack out replace with a VQ or KIDD unit both are fantastic triggers
True and there are others as well and all directly proportional on cost. As in most cases, it really comes down to what your willing to spend. Some of the mods are not worth the cost ..... :rolleyes:
Be Safe !!!

joe45c

As franken mauser said a SA-.22 Browning. I just had my 10/22 trigger worked on by brimstone, they set it to 2.5# and my browning sa-.22 is as good if not better than my newly setup 10/22. The brownings are expensive around 500 to 600.00 dollars some a lot more. mine out shoots my rugar all the time. Its pretty much what your looking for semi auto, light trigger, and around your price.

BWM

Timney trigger around 200.00 I put one in my AR set at 3 1/2 Lb it will get better after about 500 rounds. That is why I set it at 3 1/2 pounds.

scottycoyote

i have a magnum research in 17....the one i had was a stock 1022 trigger group, i sent it off to a guy on rimfirecentral and he massaged it for me some. It could be you can request it from magnum research tho

wbw

Scotty, I'm leaning very heavily towards getting a Magnum Research MLT22AT. The reviews I've read have the trigger coming in at 3.5 to 5 lbs. More than I want but I could drop in a KIDD or Volquartsen later on. In addition to the graphite barrel it's got "..... features include a .22LR Bentz target chamber designed specifically for semi-automatics and a full floating barrel with an 11 degree muzzle crown for maximum accuracy. Magnum Lite® receivers are CNC machined from a 6061-T6 aircraft aluminum forging and include an integral Weaver type rail for optics. The MLR22AT has an approximate weight of 4.25 lbs, barrel length of 17 inches, and over all length of 35.5 inches."

I'm real interested in this. If I end up with one that has a 3.5 trigger I might just leave it alone. Much more than that and I'll replace it.