Best Test System: Perma-Gel vs. Bullet Test Tube?

I haven't tried either, but from the review on Perma-Gel, it is apparently too small to stop FMJ handgun ammo, so rifle testing is out of the question without a lot of extra blocks of the stuff. Perhaps even magnum handgun testing is beyond its capacity. I don't know. The Tube site, on the other hand, shows a successful test of a .30-30 round, so that's what I would lean toward on the premise that even if it were more capacity than I needed today, it would handle a future change in my interests.

jmortimer

As usual Uncle Nick's advice seems sage. I agree but since I shoot had cast bullets I doubt the tube would tell me much. Depending on the round, I would need two to four feet or more to see total penetration. At around $80.00 you would learn much but at a significant cost. If I really wanted to know about my "pet" load I would pay Brass Fetcher to test it for around $150.00. For me, I'll just shoot water jugs and compare with known data from ballistic gelatin testing. Water tends to open up expanding bullets more than ballistic gelatin. Bottom line is that it seem like to good way to see how a bullet opens up and check on the wound channel.