Votes: 7 19.4%
  • Speer Gold Dot

Votes: 14 38.9%
  • Hornaday Critical Defense (FTX)

Votes: 15 41.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Big Tom

Hey guys was wondering which one of these .380 loads is probably the best for cc. I am carrying a Bersa Thunder 380 cc and I have both Hydra Shoks and Critical Defense. But since the only place I can shoot is a state regulated range I can't do any gelatine testing their. I have looked at some of brassfetcher's data, as well as Golden Loki, and TNoutdoors. But I still need some opinions on which load would be best for carry out of the 3 listed above.

Couzin

Big Tom: How did you get a concealed license in Delaware? My son still lives there and has had no luck at all (ex-military, no crimes, nothing).

SVO

My favorite .380 load which isn't listed is the Winchester PDX1 ammo. This is a 95 gr JHP load which works well in my Ruger LCP.

hoytinak

Not sure about the best but my favorite is the Hornady Critical Defense for my Ruger LCP and Bersa Thunder as it's 100% reliable and accurate in both.

hardhat harry

Some say that the Hydrashok is "old school"...I like old school, because testing has shown the 380 Hydrashok to be an effective round. I carry it in all 4 calibers..380ACP, 9mm, 40S&W and .45ACP. No concerns.

Big Tom

Couzin, is he going about it the right way? It's actually not all that hard to obtain. My friends dad who had to have a criminal record expunged first got one 3 months ago. Not sure why a servicemen is having a hard time with it.

Sheikyourbooty, I am concerned that you would use .380 FMJ's here is a vid showing ballistics on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkscBbMGp5k

Sheikyourbootie

Big Tom...here is what CAN happen when a .380 hollow point hits bone. This was only TWO INCHES penetration.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AD4Z5hKg8zs

After having inmates as patients, I've decided I want a round that can hit vital organs, even if I have to shoot the bad guy through the arse to get the bullet there. My normal ccw carry is .357 158 grain SJHP that I have chronographed at roughly 1300fps out of my full size revolver. Out of my 38 snub it's buffalo bore 158 grain lhp that gets an honest 1000fps.

I carry the .380 only as a backup or when (as is the case right now) my main weapon is out of commission (presently at the gunsmith fixing a sight broken while I was hunting...and for a 30k round tune up)

Since more than half of the rounds fired in self defense are MISSED SHOTS (ie all of the kinetic energy is available to injure an innocent bystander) I'm more concerned with working on my aim, point shooting, shooting from retention...ect than I am about the remote, but very real, possibility of injuring an innocent via over-penetration.

If, God forbid, I have to shoot, it's because I have no other alternative and my things have digressed to the gravest of extreme circumstances. If I'm stuck with my .380 (which is what my two daughters are presently learning pistol shooting with) as a S.D. gun, I need to place the shots well, and I want penetration that is not encumbered by expansion.....this is a VERY under powered round that cannot simultaneously give BOTH reliable expansion and penetration....ever. I choose penetration. If you choose expansion, I will never throw stones...it's your rear end n the line.

mudgun83

I carry Hornaday Critical Defense in my Sig p238 and my 9MMs. From reading I have done and a few You Tube videos that are out there, IMHO the Hornaday CD gives consistent penetration and expansion even through pretty heavy winter clothing (tip will not clog). That's what sold me.

380guy

Tom, I have used the Speer Gold Dot as my preferred carry ammo in Colt Mustang for many years and purchased it in many different lots of ammo. It has always been the most accurate in my pistol. It has 14 inches penetration in IWBA gelatin and expands to a uniform 45 caliber as I recall. I have had similar reuslts shooting into water jugs. I also like the newer Winchester PDX-1. Not as accurate and it expands a bit more. Not quite as smooth feeding in mine but no problems in 50 rounds. Hornady would be next choice but I like the extra retained weight from Winchester and Gold Dot. Winchester is about a buck cheaper than Gold Dot for some reason. Costs more to bond a bullet than electroplate it. So a good buy. I reload the Gold Dots which are often hard to find. But carry factory ammo. Max charges of 231 and unique work well in my pistol.

Big Tom

Sheikyourbooty, I respect your opinion and you do bring up good points but after going through that bone I am pretty sure it will hit the heart or lung. Throat and head are still fee-sable targets close in I would say. If I have to go to a second mag (which I keep loaded with 7 FMJ's just in case) I can do that or go to my knife and mace. If It comes to the knife I would think the bad guy would be weakening pretty quick with a few holes with blood flowing out.

my opinion on ammo for ccw is to always get the heaviest load possible. that's why 45 is so popular. it's slow but heavy. makes a big hole. i used to think fast was good, until i hit a squirrel center mass with a 223 soft tip out of my AR-15. that sucker ran 30yds to the nearest tree, climbed it, and sat their howling for 20 minutes before falling silent. i hit one with a 9mm hollow point in the same spot, and he lay dead where he was hit. granted that was a squirrel, but the general idea has to apply - slow and heavy > fast and small.

Mikey Idaho

Honestly I would carry just about any self defense round from any well respected manufacturer as long as I knew it fed reliably which can be an issue with pocket 380's. I don't think if you get a good center mass hit the BG will notice which brand of JHP it was. As long as it feeds every time and I've trained with the handgun I'm confident. I've carried HydraShok, PDX1, Critical Defense, Guard Dog, Corbon, DoubleTap (only one I avoid is Golden Saber, don't trust it based on ballistics tests and general dislike for Remington ammo lol).

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

Big Tom

Mikey, I actually use 124 grain +p Golden Sabers in 9mm. I even use them non-bonded. The American Rifleman has an article on Ballistics for various loads from major brands and the Golden Sabers were like #1 or #2 for all around best performance and if you go on youtube check out a channel called DocTacDad. He shoots a pigs head with this same load and shows just how effective it is against bone and tissue. I never once regretted using this load for SD in 9mm. I can not speak the same of the .380's as they are too heavy and usually do not expand, reference TNOutdoor9's video on that specific version. Now that said they did impress me in 9mm in both 124 and 147 grain.

None of the above.

The best standard pressure load for the .380 is a (Winchester, Remington, Federal) 95 gr. FMJ @ 900-950 fps.

Sheikyourbootie

Wow, I was surprised to see this thread resurrected. Since you origionally posted, I tested the critical defense against the Buffalo Bore Barnes bullet in .380 (sorry...not standard pressure), but the Critical defense is.

I also ran through the Barnes in my 357 snubie (not for comparison, but rather just curiosity how it would perform out of the short barrel)

In .380 I'll stick with fmj....BUT...if I must carry a hollow point in this diminutive little caliber, it will be the Buffalo Bore Barnes bullet. As for the Critical Defense in 380, I won't trust a bullet that shatters upon impact with bone. I have no idea about the performance in other calibers, I'd have to test it.