Best speedloader in combat

HighValleyRanch

Hands down, S.L. Variant (Longwitz) made in Germany. It's a jet loader, insert, press and you're loaded.
Impossible to find, but I have a 5 shot for my LCR's and a 6 shot for my Service six and Kimber k6.

jski

HighValleyRanch, as you predicted the S.L. Variant is “out of stock” from Bobby Mac’s Holsters in the U.S., the single U.S. source.

BUT, I have read that the Speed Beez is a close 2nd. Is that true?

TBM900

They have been "working on a deal" to import more for at least 5 years.
They have been "out of stock" for even longer.
From what Ive been able to dig up, the owner is trying to sell the rights and no one wants to pay the asking price.

As for Speed Beez... not even remotely close to the SL Variant.
I would consider them range toys at best.
Safariland speed loaders are closest to SL Variant, but still a distant second.

HighValleyRanch

I found a bunch years ago on the big fleabay auction site for a good price. I figured I only needed one each of the 5 and 6 rounds for carry, so I sold a few for over 95.00 each!

The angle of the rounds is adjustable, so one loader can fit quite a few different model revolvers.

I keep searching but haven't seen any for sale for over a couple of years now. I hear the five round j frame size is like hens teeth, so I'm never giving mine up!

TBM900

I found a bunch years ago on the big fleabay auction site for a good price.
I figured I only needed one each of the 5 and 6 rounds for carry, so I sold a few for over 95.00 each!

The angle of the rounds is adjustable, so one loader can fit quite a few different model revolvers.

I keep searching but haven't seen any for sale for over a couple of years now. I hear the five round j frame size is like hens teeth, so I'm never giving mine up!

Today new in packaging ones typically auction for $300-$400 depending on model.
Some of the special ones I've seen pushed past $500.
Years ago I used to find them in discount dump-bins regularly and would always snatch them up.
I haven't stumbled on one in ages.

Sharkbite

Instead of pointing the OP at Unicorn dust covered unobtainium items...how about some advice on stuff he can actually get his hands on:eek:

Safariland comp II’s are what i used on duty with a S&W revolver back in the day. Push the body straight down into the cylinder a d it releases the rounds. No twisting on a knob like HKS.

If i was going to carry a wheelgun for defensive purposes today, Safariland speedloaders would be my choice.

TBM900

Instead of pointing the OP at Unicorn dust covered unobtainium items...how about some advice on stuff he can actually get his hands on:eek:
Because the poster asked for “the best”... thus the best was provided :)

PS
They are anything but “unobtainium”.
One will just have to pay the price.
Some are willing to pay it.

jimku

Safariland comp II’s are what i used on duty with a S&W revolver back in the day. Push the body straight down into the cylinder a d it releases the rounds. No twisting on a knob like HKS.

If i was going to carry a wheelgun for defensive purposes today, Safariland speedloaders would be my choice.
These Safariland loaders are my hands-down favorite! And "the best" that can actually be obtained. I use them for my 357, but none are available for my 5-shot .41 magnum.
true-love-smiley-emoticon.gif

Last edited:

HighValleyRanch

Alas, I just put on my new Hogue Bantam wrap around grips on my Kimber K6, and my S.L. Variant does not work with magnum loads. Got stuck because it's too long and interferes with the grip.
So...now I am back to using the HKS speed loaders!:(
Or grind the grip out later on.

HighValleyRanch

Since we are talking about speedloaders and the best for combat, it might be also good to discuss how you carry them. SInce I am civilian and cannot wear a typical duty belt with big honking speed loader carriers under a T shirt, this is my method.
I created these pouches to fit into my right rear jeans pocket so that I can quickly access the loader.
The pouch side holds the speedloader in an upright position snugly so that I know exactly where it is at all times, and the other flat portion carries an 8 round speed strips with magnum length rounds. So in this small package I am able to carry 14 rounds easily.
attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC06576.JPG
    DSC06576.JPG
    207.8 KB · Views: 946