Best sources for components, nickel plating

DH

I have a few questions:
1) Why nickel plate rounds?
2) Are nickel plated rounds good for reloading?
3) What is your best and economical source for reloading supplies? I'd like to direct my business there!
Thanks.

fal308

Staff Alumnus
Don't know the why of nickel plating but I do know that in what I reload they don't hold up as well and regular brass cases. They crack at the neck. As for reloading supplies I've got a friend that's had pretty good luck with Midway.( I've got several shops where I get my supplies and that's a good excuse to go to the gunshows).

fal308

Staff Alumnus
Almost forgot. When using mailorder don't forget the haz-mat charges and charges for bulk or heavy items.

Trapdoor Billy

I believe the nickle plated cases started showing up originally on handgun rounds that might be kept in leather belt loops. Cases don't turn green and get all cruddy.

Because of HAZMAT, powder and primers are probably best purchased locally. Lots of mail order and online outlets for brass,
bullets, etc.

college

DH;
1) Why nickel plate rounds? Because some people thingk they look good, and they are easier to keep clean, and easier to see in the grass, concrete or table.
2) Are nickel plated rounds good for reloading? I have reloaded nickel cases for years and they appear to hold up as well as the brass. I just got some new StarLine nickel plated brass. These have only been fired twice with no failures up to this point. We will see how they hold up after 5 reloads, then 10 reloads.
SASS Stainless

918v

It is better that the case fails prematurely at the neck, than to let go at the case head after too many reloads. nickle cases will always neck-split first, thus they are safer.

With that said, this is all moot because i always lose my brass at the reange, so none of my cases ever reach their life expectancy.