Best solvent for Nickel?

Rovert

I understand that ammonia-based solvents aren't good for nickel plated guns, because they attack the underlying copper and will damage the finish.

So, what's the best to use?

Dfariswheel

Solvents like Hoppe's can damage nickel, IF LEFT ON TOO LONG.
The trick is, clean your gun and dry the solvent off, just don't let it soak for days.

blades67

I only use Hoppe's on the bore of plated firearms and CLP on the rest. As was stated above, MPro7 would be a good option, but as with brake cleaner it will strip the metal of all oil.

Ledbetter

Blades 67 is right on the money. There is no point in using bore cleaner on a nickel finish. CLP works fine, as does mineral spirits, penetrating oil or even Mobil One to clean nickel interior and exterior surfaces. Once every year or two, polish the exterior with Flitz.

Rovert

The reason I ask, is because it's for my revolver. Although I've used Hoppes 9 for barrel and cylinder, there's no way to avoid getting it on the plating, and you gotta scrub to get the carbon off the front of the cylinder.

So, you guys are saying that as long as the Hoppes is not left on for an extended period, I'm alright? I'd hate to take a chance... this is a M27 3.5, and I'd hate to ruin it.

sm

Have used Zippo lighter fluid on nickel finishes.

Heck , doesn't do a bad job on bore, chambers, and degreasing a firing pin for use in real cold (freezing temps). As a poor boy growing up didn't always have proper name- brand gunstuff.

Dfariswheel

"So, you guys are saying that as long as the Hoppes is not left on for an extended period, I'm alright?"

Basically, yes. Some of the newer, more aggressive copper solvents might do some damage over time, but standard good 'ol Hoppe's won't, AS LONG as you don't leave in on the nickel for long periods.

Again, clean the gun and wipe the solvent off.
I have a friend who's a retired Deputy Sheriff. He's carried a old model Colt Trooper in nickel for 30 years. He always cleaned it with Hoppe's, and other than the wear and tear of 30 years of police use, the finish is in fine shape. Since it was his duty gun, he cleaned it, wiped it down, and put it in the holster for the next shift.

Hal

I used to use Hoppes on everything, and made sure I wiped down the Nickel to remove any traces.

The last few years I've gone over to using Ballistol. It worked so well on the Nickel, I went over to using it on everything.

Lead away cloths will remove the carbon from the cylinder face.

bountyh

Just use pure acetone (you can buy it at Home Depot). It is a great cleaner and harmless to any and all metals (attacks plastics and paint).