Best soft body armor?

simonov jr

Since law-abiding citizens can and do get in harm's way, what is the best current level III soft body armor in terms of "wearability"? I think I'm talking about a vest that is light, doesn't build up too much heat, restrict your range of motion, in short one that you might even forget you have on until you need it? Can anybody weigh in? I picked Level III because there are 9mm and other common rounds that IIIA won't stop. I know Spectra was all the rage and Twaron got a bad rap recently. What's the state of the art? Anybody wear soft armor regularly? What's the best/worst part of making it part of your daily wardrobe?

AK103K

I have two vests, a Second Chance level II and a Safariland level IIIa. The II is the lighter and more comfortable of the two, but neither are cool and you always know you have it on. The only time I seem to come close to forgetting its on is when I go to get out of the truck and forget to take my seatbelt off. They are much more comfortable with a OWB holster than an IWB. They are hot, and wearing one in the summer really pretty much sucks. I wear mine more in the fall and winter than the summer. I work outside, a lot of which is in the woods during hunting season, and since we are in a shotgun only zone, the IIIa should suffice. Even when its 15* out, I'm still sweating my butt off with just minimal exertion, so while it is warm to wear, sweating in cold weather is bad when you stop moving. The only time I really wear one in the summer is if I'm going to the range or working somewhere I feel better having it on, uncomfortable or not.

JSandi

Not trying to start an argument but before you wear any type of armor check your local and state laws about this, I’ve read in many LE publications where in some jurisdictions it is illegal for anyone other than LE to possess and wear body armor.

And I know that in some big cities like Chicago, NY and LA expect much hassle if found wearing and especially carrying while wearing.

That said in GA I know of no such law although we recently had a case before our Court of Appeals involving a traffic stop where a cop spotted two sets of body armor in the backseat under some “heavy” jackets, called for backup and took both guys out and cuffed them, searched them and the car finding two hand guns, gloves, ski masks and about $1500 in cash.

Both were detained and taken to a local jail where they were held under the 24-hour rule while an investigation took place.

During this time the reports of armed robberies began coming in from people who were held up at gunpoint at ATM’s.

They were charged on warrants for the traffic violations (which we can choose to do in GA instead of a citation) this required them to be held for another 24 hours until the Magistrate Judge could hold a bond hearing.

By this time the State had the evidence necessary to charge them with the robberies.

They lawyered up and it all ended up before the GA Supreme Court, they argued the mere presence of the body armor did not give rise to a warrantless search by the LEO and therefore everything found under the search was fruit of the poison tree and not admissible.

GA Supreme Court said the presence of the armor in the possession by a civilian was very extraordinary and that any reasonable peace officer having a lawful right to be where he was at the time of discovery, in this case a lawful traffic stop for a violation of GA law, would be justified in going forward with a warrantless search based on that information alone absent any other immediately available information which could explain away any fear of criminal activity being afoot.

boofus

A level III soft vest will be unbelievably heavy and bulky. The Interceptor vest with plates is Level III and will stop 7.62mm rifle rounds. A vest that has no plates but just ballistic fabric able to stop a rifle round would probably make you look like the michelin tire man.

perception

Here in Tennessee body armor is legal unless you wear it in the commission of a crime. Possibly the most sensible regulatory law ever passed. I think gun control should be the same way. Guns are completely legal unless used in comission of a crime.

ATW525

I'm not aware of soft body armor above level IIIA, and there certainly wouldn't be anything comfortable if there was.