Best single shot 20 Ga. slug gun?

Lavid2002

Hey guys, I have recently started casting pistol bullets, I have always wanted a slug gun but slugs cost way too much money. If I cast my own slugs too I can reload them for an affordable price.

Long story short, I want a 20 Gauge single shot slug gun for the range and this fall for deer season. Heres what I'm looking for
*200$ range
*Iron sights
*Light weight
*Flickable (Is that even a word that I can use to describe a gun?)

I really like the feel of the NEF Tracker II slug gun, but there seem to be a fair amount of other single shot slug guns out there for an affordable price.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks
-Dave

Para Cassatt

For a little more money, I'd go for the H&R Ultimate slug gun model. In the 12 gauge it outshot the Hasting barrel I believe in a Guns & Ammo review.

Lavid2002

I know there very accurate, but I dont want to use a scope. I want to shoot irons : ) I also want something lightweight.

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
An old friend has used an Ithaca Single, a model 66 lever action, in 20 gauge to take an amazing amount of venison over the last 30 years or so. Just a bead and practice.

Another buddy had been given an H&R as a lad in 20 gauge. His sports a tang sight lifted from a ML catalog and also has lots of venison behind it. For use with shot, he just folds the back sight down.

HTH....

bswiv

Wife uses one of the H&Rs. Shoots good with sabots and with the Brenneke slugs, which cost way less!

Only thing about it is it is rather heavy. But the sabots, we use Hornadys, thump you good so the weight helps. Still it's not so heavy that a 115 pound woman ever complains about toting it through the swamp after hogs.

And your idea about reloading cast bullets. Do a search on that. I did and it looks like a lot of fun......for not much money.

What really got my attention was the idea of using BRASS 20ga shells and topping them with a bullet of correct diameter. You'd have to work on the powder charge VERY CAREFULLY as the case would be mostly empty but there are fillers out there for that.

And of course there are BP substitutes that take up a bunch of room in a shell.

Lavid2002

So toss up between this gun
1140109.jpg

Rossi single shot 20 ga

Or this gun
zoom_trackerII.jpg

NEF tracker II

Both are about the same $$$ Rossi is 40 bucks cheaper. Which one would you pick and porque?

Im leaning towards the NEF but I like the aesthetics of the Rossi more...

bswiv

Note that the Rossi is ported and that it has a scope rail already attached.

As I said the 20ga sabots snap failry good so the porting would be a nice addition.

And the scope rail........well we use Red Dots on ours which work very well so having the rail is a nice option.

Rampant_Colt

oneounceload

Porting, IMO, is about as useful as an air conditioner in an igloo..........

It does NOT reduce recoil, it MAY help with muzzle rise, but since you're shooting a single shot, that becomes moot.

Rossi is Brazilian - whether buying imported versus domestic is important to you, something to consider.

As light as either one is, the recoil will be noticed by you and your shoulder

Lavid2002

As mentioned, the gun will be used with irons so the scope rail isnt important. I agree that porting does very little but make the gun louder to the shooter. I also live in NJ so the rifle, shotgun combo would probably be illegal to hunt with.

I am leaning heavily towards the NEF, unless there is another gun that I haven't considered.