Best Single Action for cowboy action shoots

PATH

Been invited to a cowboy action shoot at one of the clubs I belong to. I presently don't own a single action revolver.
Any suggestions as to what I should get?

P

PreserveFreedom

Depending on how authentic they get...

I would go with a Vaquero or two. The reason I would take the Vaquero over the Blackhawk is because a lot of shoots want to be real authentic and that means no adjustable sights. You also can get a Vaquero worked on (spring work) relatively cheap. You won't be making a large initial investment either. People in the cowboy action shooting forum may know more though. Whatever you choose, have fun! :)

Doc Hudson

Path,

You must have a Masters Degree in stirring hornet nests! ;)

Before you spend a small fortune, go to a match or two. I'll bet that your buddy will lend you the guns necessary to compete.

Give it a try to see if you want to get involved. Try several different types of guns and talk to the people who shoot them. Expect to get many conflicting answers.

Some folks look down their noses at anything that does not wear a Colt trademark. Some will tell you Colts are antiquated, overpriced junk and you should carry Ruger Vaqueros or Blackhawks. Some will praise this brand or another of Italian SAA-clone. Others will urge you to jump on the Schofield S&W bandwagon.

Try 'em all. Decides what feels best and handles best for you. Then buy the guns you decide upon and staunchly defend your choices as the 'only way to go" when the next newcomer comes around and asks your veteran opinion.

Enjoy,
Doc Hudson

arnie

Check things out like Doc said. Then buy a Ruger Vaquero like PreserveFreedom said. The hardest choice will be the caliber of the Vaquero. If you just want to shoot cowboy shoots and plink, get a .357 magnum and shoot .38 specials in it. If you also want to use it to hunt, get a .44 magnum. If you want a traditional caliber, get the .44-40. (It will be harder to reload and more expensive to shoot.) If you want to experiment with loads, or want to shoot what the movie cowboys all shoot, get a .45 Long Colt. If you have a .45 acp or .40 S&W auto, Ruger has Vaqueros in those calibers as well. Check out the SASS (Single Action Shooting Society) website. Have fun, safely ! - Arnie

Clark Kent

Also check out Cabela's for their Millennium SAA. It got a Best Buy rating from Gun Tests for its surprisingly high-quality workmanship and its shockingly low price: $200.

44rugerfan

I have heard good things about the Cabela's revolver. It would be a good place to start, to see if you want to do the Cowboy thing long-term. If you do, get a Ruger. Heck, even if you don't a Vaquero in the collection is a good thing.
Don't get me started on Colts.