Best sights for indoor shooting

Jimlakeside

I have two Glock 34s. One with fiber optic sights for outdoors and the second with Sevigny tritium sights. The tritium sights are just too faint for my tired 60 year old eyes. Who shoots indoors under low light conditions that can recommend a set of sights for me? I have tried big dot and don't like them. Thanks

darkgael

sights

Jim: I shoot thirty indoor matches a year. With practice, I'm indoors a lot. The best choice for our aging eyes (I'm 61.) is the red dot that you don't care for (I'm assuming that's what you meant when you referred to a dot).
Other than that, have you tried the Merit Optical Disk - an adjustable aperture that attaches to your glasses. Gehmann also makes a similar aide.
Here's a pic of the Merit wide open.
meritoptical.jpg

CortJestir

I know of several folks (young and old) with less-than-stellar eyesight that have used red dot sights to great success. I installed a Burris FastFire on my Buck Mark to make plinking more fun. It's been great so far and is very rugged. They make a mount for your Glock so I'm pretty sure you can use it. Price is pretty good too. I paid around $140 for mine, IIRC.

heyduke

My eyes are getting older, and I've found it's not so much the "night sights" that gets hard to see, but how close they seem together when it gets darker in the shooting area.

Went to the ghost ring sight system and I love it for quick aqusition, and there are only two dots to "line up", one on top right over the bottom one.

Not sure if this would work for you, but it did for me.

Sights are Novaks.

Attachments

• kimber2.JPG
    kimber2.JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 53

evan1293

Instead of looking for brighter dots, I'd go with wider light bars around the front sight post. You can get this by going with a narrower front sight and/or widening the rear sight notch. I believe Dave sevigny uses a .110" front sight with a .150" rear. That may sound drastic but believe me, it makes it REAL easy to pick up the front sight. I've found that trying to shoot by focusing on the dots (specifically the front dot) is much slower and for precision shots, much less precise. Try focusing on the dead center, upper tip of the front sight post. For close-in, high speed shots, you can probably just focus on the front sight as a whole and get the hits you need.

Jimlakeside

Thanks for the replies. I should have made myself more clear. I tried the XS Express Big Dot sight system and did not like it. I am not sure what others were referring to when they talked about a red dot. I have a fiber optic sight for outdoors. I shoot IDPA matches indoors so lasers are not allowed. Only standard sights are allowed. I use the wide notched sights from Sevigny now.

Anyone use the Truglo sights indoors and in low light conditions?

Thanks.

Jim

CortJestir

I am not sure what others were referring to when they talked about a red dot.

Hi Jim. A Red Dot sight is very different from a front sight with an enlarged dot or fiber optic filament. A red dot sight is normally battery powered and projects a bright tiny red dot onto a lens. The one I mentioned looks like this:

Fastfire.jpg

They are normally slide mounted on pistols, so you need to get one that will withstand the abuse of slide movement and not get knocked out of zero. Once you zero it, you put the red dot over where you want to hit and pull the trigger. Easy as pie and fun to boot.

Hope that helps...

CJ

RobertSB701

Great For Both Day & Night!

I recently equipped my Glock 21SF with XS Systems Big Dot Tritium Sights. The big front sight draws your eye to it and the shallow rear v-notch results in very quick alignment in day or night.