Best sight for astigmatism?

gaseousclay

I ended up returning the Holosun green dot sight I bought a week ago because it simply won’t work for me because of astigmatism. So what are my options and what brands would you recommend? it would appear that a prism sight with an etched reticle is what I’ll need. I’ve read about Primary Arms, Vortex spitfire and the Sig Sauer Bravo 5. I’m willing to spend $300-500....maybe more if it suits my needs.

I know Eotech makes holographic sights — can I assume that those would be just as blurry as a reflex sight?

HighDesert

I have astigmatism and after believing I could never use a dot sight, discovered I actually can. I just have to dim them some. I can still see them fine, but the brighter the more they burst.

jmr40

I assume for a rifle. Mount a 1-4X20 scope on it and you'll soon forget all about dot sights. They make some with illuminated reticles which gives the best of both worlds if you just want it

Warhammer

You are somewhat correct about the Eotech. Astigmatism will have a similar effect on a holographic sight as it does on a reflex sight, though some say the effect is lessened. A prism sight will be best.

Here's an article with some good info and suggestions of different sights that may work for you: https://scopesfield.com/best-red-dot-sights-for-astigmatism/

• Optics – Get one of the astigmatism friendly optics from above.
  • Brightness – Lower the brightness of your optic. You can also switch to a green-colored light. Why? Because green light is softer and easier on the eye.
  • Aim – Focus on the target instead of the dot.
  • BUIS – Shoot with a red dot and a peep sight at the same time.
  • Polarized Sunglasses – Wear polarized sunglasses. It reduces glare and improves vision in bright conditions.
  • Corrective Lens – Most mild to moderate astigmatism can be corrected with prescription lens. (Either glasses or contact lenses). Book an appointment with your local optometrist to see which option is best for you.

It might take some experimentation and trying a few different sights before you find the solution that works best for you.

Last edited:

dyl

I have a Vortex Spitfire 1x, the older generation. It can be a true 1x magnification if you adjust it, but you are then balancing the reticle sharpness with how much zoom you want - it's a minor amount. It really is a crisp view through that for those with astigmatism. I have 2 gripes. It has a dot, an inner ring, and outer ring which is just a bit busy for me. And the older generation, if you forget to turn the knob over to switch it off, it will use all the battery up. I've blown through 2-3 batteries in a row because I just forget. The newer generation uses AAA and will switch off automatically after a couple hours. Lifetime warranty.

gaseousclay

What about a good old fashioned peep sight?

I have a flip up rear site and front iron site on my AR. These might work for shorter distance shots, like 25 yards or so. I still want some sort of prism site for longer shots out to 50-100 yds.

bamaranger

for me

Dots always seem flared to me as well, but a Vortex Strikefire II on one of bamaboys AR's has the clearest dot I've ever seen. It's big at 3 or 4 MOA, but very distinct. Despite my preference for low power variables, I've ordered a Strikefire to see how it works for me. Figure I can always sell it in the current atmosphere.

Gary Gill

I use holosun 507c on two of my glocks. I turn the brightness down and shoot very well compared to open sights. I have a Sig Romeo on a rifle and do the same thing.