Best Scope for the 204 Ruger?

Huskerguy

Ran into a friend last night as he was looking at some scopes. I asked him what he needed it for and he said he just picked up a new CZ rifle in Ruger 204. After drooling a bit, I asked him what he was looking for and he wasn't sure.

Anyone got some ideas? I have several different rifles and my scopes match what I do with them but the 204 is a different animal. I anticipate him doing some small varmint shooting and at some longer distances.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Odds are that something in the 3x9 or 4x14 range would work well. Depends on whether or not he's gonna shoot in poor light or mid-day, and at what ranges he's competent.

On prairie dogs, I've found that around 300 yards is right at the precision limit for me with 9X and standard duplex crosshairs.

James R. Burke

Just myseld a Leupold, Nikon, and a few others. I dont go crazy with the cost but try to get something thats going to perfom with no issues.

fisherman66

I'd like the 4-14x40 for a large varmint rifle. If he wants to go after smaller targets then the Bushnell 6500 offers a huge multiplier. The 4.5-30x50 should put him out there on small targets.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
I have a Mueller Eradicator 8.5-25X50 on my 204. I shoot out to around 300 yards at woodchucks, which are roughly the size of a piece of notebook paper. I don't NEED 25X but it sure brings them in close. It helps make more precision shots. Rarely does it mean hit instead of miss though. 95% of the time I could get away with 12X, maybe less.

If money were NO object, and I mean, NOOOO object, I'd get this scope, from US optics. Just because I've always wondered.

If money were a LITTLE object then I'd get this scope, from Nightforce.

If money were a fairly significant object, which it was when I bought my scope then I'd buy the Mueller Eradicator. Which I did, and I'm very happy with it.

Huskerguy

Thanks

Been gone for the weekend - thanks for the responses.

Money would NOT be a factor. I think the guy would be disappointed to get only a good scope on a great rifle instead of something that really fit the cartridge.