Best Scope 200-250 $ range for target .22

Dead-Nuts-Zero

Have CZ 452 .22 lr I want to re-scope.

Looking for something like 4-16 X 42 AO

Limits are -
must go as low as 4X or lower and high as 12 or 14 or higher.

Less than 50mm.

AO - Need good sharp focus down to 40 feet or less.

I shoot 50' indoor and up to 100 yds outdoor at steel in semi-competitive leagues.

Weight is also a concern, have to be about 1.5 lbs. complete with all mountings.

I now use extra tall mounts for 50 mm and think I could do a little better with a 42-44mm range.

Open to suggestions on the reticle style.

I have found a few within this range, looking for best buy under 250.00

Side focus would possibly be nice but never used one.

Rather not go above the 250 buck mark.

What would you pick?

Thanks for your ideas :cool:

sholling

Hands down a Weaver V16 4-16x42 w/AO. I keep a Weaver V24 on one of mine and love it. You'll find it as low as $287 - ok a little over budget but well worth it. There just isn't anything else of that quality with that magnification range that comes close.

IMG_0145a.jpg

Dead-Nuts-Zero

sholling...Thats one fine looking rifle!
The Weaver was on my list but had to drop it due to the price. If I could find one at the 287 OTD, I may take another look. Haven't shopped much yet, but sofar seem to be well above the 300 mark.

The Mueller was also on my list but not able to gather a lot of comments or reviews, however what I did find was all very good. I think I drooped it mainly because I thought I could do better by paying more. Thats alot of scope for 130 buck$.
I think I read that they are US made (or maybe just assembled here) and they don't spend much on advertising to keep the cost down. :D...I can live with that...:D
Over on the Rimfire forum they speak very highly of the Mueller brand.

Thanks for your ideas, hope to hear form more of you.

blume357

You should be able to get a lower end Leupold for that price

made in America... which still means something to some folks.

cgbills

Actually blum357, Leupold has started to make their lower end scopes over seas.

Check out the Vortex Vipers. They have great glass for the money. I have a 3-9x40 on my T/C Encore for deer. Never had a problem with it, even when it got a decent whack when I was lowering it from my tree stand. Glass is clear, bright and shows great detail even in the woods. Also I believe Vortex still have a $50 mail in rebate on the Vipers. You just have not heard much about them because they are relatively new, but I, and Scott at Liberty optics, feel they are the BEST scope in that price range. Give Scott at Liberty Optics a call, he can help and guide you in the right direction.

EAJ702

The Mueller was also on my list but not able to gather a lot of comments or reviews, however what I did find was all very good. I think I drooped it mainly because I thought I could do better by paying more. Thats alot of scope for 130 buck$. I think I read that they are US made (or maybe just assembled here) and they don't spend much on advertising to keep the cost down. ...I can live with that... Over on the Rimfire forum they speak very highly of the Mueller brand.

+1 :)

Mueller APV on CZ 453 .22LR Varmint w/ Warne 7.3 Rings, Extra-High

cz453_03.jpg

CZ 527 Varmint Kevlar w/Weaver 6-20x40mm AO Grand Slam and CZ Rings. Works great at 100 yd.

cz527_02.jpg

Last edited:

tINY

Is everyone going blind and not drinking coffee anymore?

Minimum of 16x on the upper end of a 22lr??? I can't use that kind of power off-hand and I don't need it to see 4" steels at 100 yards...

But, that's just me.

-tINY

sholling

The APV is a really nice scope for the money just not in the same class as a Weaver V-Series either optically or mechanically. If you decide to go that route I suggest talking to Dennis at Mizzou Mule Guns. He include a sunshade and shipping in the $115 price. I bought my Eradicator from him. Most Mueller scopes are assembled in China using better than Chinese lenses however I'm not sure where entry priced APV's lenses are made.

I came up with the $287 price for a Weaver V16 by Googling Weaver V16.

Huffmanite

Received a 6-18X44 AO Swift Premier scope a couple of weeks ago and put it on one of my 257R rifles for shooting paper at range. Nice clear optics for my normally 100 yard + shooting. Curious about about how clear it was for the 40 Ft or less requirement mentioned, I just stepped outside and aimed the rifle at bricks, about 40 foot away, on neighbors house. After adjusting the AO on front bell, I could clearly distinguish the sand grandules in the cement between bricks at 12 power. Tried 18 power, same results. Crosshairs on it are good, medium thickness then thins where vertical crosses horizontal, so no problem seeing dead center of small bulleyes.

The Swift Premier is American made, has a lifetime warrenty and Swift has been involved in optics for a very very long time. They have a short line of rifle scopes, so not that many models to choose from. The model I have sells on the internet at places like SWFA, Optics Planet and others for just under $200. I happen to find mine through Amazon.com for just under $140 ($125 scope, rest shipping) Not sure about the weight of the scope, but that info available on Swift company web site. The scope is worth considering.

I've edited my post to suggest an additional scope to consider for your 22. I've a Simmons ProHunter 6-18X40mm side focus scope that is also mounted on another 257Roberts rifle. I've had it for about 18 months now and no problems with it, shooting the rifle regularly at range I frequent. The Simmons brand is certainly not in the same category of some, errrrr maybe most, of brands suggested by other posters to answer your inquiry, but I've been satisfied with the 2 Prohunters I own. There have been a couple of times at range when another Simmons Prohunter scope owner has seen my scope and told me they too had prohunter Simmons on their centerfire rifles....and words to the effect that they were a heck of a scope for their price.....comparable, they thought, to higher priced more liked brands. This model Simmons is smaller/lighter than the Swift model I recommended. I took it outside to view neighbor's bricks too with scope on 18 power. No problem with it, clear optics and crosshairs are suitable for what you should need. The prohunter series is in the Simmons family of their upper price range of scopes, probably selling for around $150 or higher. SWFA has it listed for $150. You can get it at Natchez Shooters supply for $90+about $13 shipping.

Last edited: