Best SA/DA .40?

Cosmodragoon

I have carried a small .380 in restrictive settings for a few years and based on my own shooting experience, as well as excellent insights such as these, I have decided that I'd like more punch. I have no experience with .40 but I'm attracted to the heavier bullets and having another common avenue for ammo availability. Knowing my recoil preferences in other calibers, I think .40 might be a bit more than I'd want in, say, a Shield or PPS. So I'm upgrading my deep concealment semi from .380 to 9mm and my compact carry from 9mm to .40. (I like to keep my .45acp and various wheel guns to heavier-carry situations.)

The other gap in my experience is with striker-fired guns. I just don't own any and have never actually shot any. I hear the lower barrel-seating in the hand makes shooting smoother but for peace of mind and ease of execution, I have always preferred one in the pipe with no manual safety and the first shot in double action for regular carry pieces.

I was looking at a Bersa Thunder 40 UC Pro but I'd figure I'd put it to you. What is the best compact--small but not tiny--SA/DA .40 and why?

kcub

Right now I would say the HK P2000SK which can be had in .40 and DA/SA.
Why? It is perfectly reliable and has less perceived recoil than any .40 I have shot, including some much larger and heavier. It is about the same size as a baby Glock (G27). It is most concealable with a flush magazine floor plate.

I will shortly have another contender, the Walther P99C which can be had with an AS (anti stress) trigger which is DA/SA.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=357707583

NWCP

Either the HK P2000SK, or the HK USP40 Compact. Both are drop dead accurate and very reliable.

PakWaan

I went shopping for an HK USP last week, with the intention of making it my daily carry. But when I laid it on top of a commander size 1911, I discovered that its exactly the same size, except its even thicker in the grip. So I figured if I'm going to go that large, I may as well stick with a 1911, and bought a new Ed Brown Kobra Carry.

allaroundhunter

The Sig P226/P229 and the HK USP Expert are the softest shooting .40s that I have fired (not counting STI 2011s).

If you want the best, you won't be getting it for the price of a Bersa.

LockedBreech

I love my Beretta PX4 Storm, the PX4 Storm Compact is also good. I probably love the P229 better than any other .40 of any control scheme whatsoever, and the USP 40 Compact is a charmer too.

dontcatchmany

I have the Bersa Thunder 9 UC Pro and if its performance represents the 40 UC Pro then I would go for that....I am actually looking at the Bersa in .45 as I have a FNH FNX .40 and it is an exceptional weapon.

cas700850

If you are considering CCW, have smaller hands, or (like me) like the feel of a thinner grip, the SIG P239 in .40 is excellent. Recoil is not bad at all. And if you don't like the DA/SA transition, he DAK trigger is excellent.

aimtrue

If .40 caliber is chosen for protection, I believe the pistol should meet certain criteria:

The pistol should be heavy enough to prevent painful recoil. It should also be reliable, accurate and easy to conceal.

I carry concealed in a front pocket a Glock 27 in summer. In colder months, I carry a FNS-40 over the belt and under a jacket at my hip.

Both of these high capacity striker fire weapons meet my criteria and have proven to be excellent pistols.

Attachments

• Glock 27  .40 S&W.jpg
    Glock 27 .40 S&W.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 20
  • FNH FNS-40.jpg
    FNH FNS-40.jpg
    259.4 KB · Views: 25

trlhrv

Best .40 carry

My choice is the Kahr P40. Depending on my dress at a given time I carry the P40 or the PM40. Amazing how these pistols handle recoil and provide comfort and reliability.