best round for deer?

bcarver

First let me say I would not hunt with a .223 but...
7 year old son of a friend is recoil sensitive but wants to hunt
They have a .223 and are going to use it.
I was asked what ammo would be best.
I said I would find out so what do you think?
I will be reloading so any load data would also be nice.

DiscoRacing

Pretty small caliber in my op.... shot placement would be crucial.... I would use as heavy a bullet as you can get.... i was thinking of using mine this year with a 69 grain hollow point bullet... but ended up using my trusty .06. I cant bring myself to using this small of a caliber when I have larger ones at hand.... I dont want to risk injuring and losing an animal due to bad shot/lack of penetration

DiscoRacing

Also... .for your reloading data ???.... i currently use 26grains of imr4064 with my .223 69grain hp nosler competition bullets

globemaster3

You obviously know the arguments on the .223, so I won't go there.

What's the twist rate on the barrel? I would try the largest soft point bullet that twist rate can stabilize. And then make a ton of it so the 7yo can practice a lot.

As far as recoil sensitivity, he cannot mitigate that more than an AR platform IMO.

Just a thought, Caldwell makes a life-size deer target with that shoot-n-see type ability. I bought 2 for my kids from Midway. They also come with replacement vital area. If this jr hunter has not been behind a rifle on a deer before, it might help condition him and let him learn some shot placement.

globemaster3

Kwell, there are an awful lot of ARs out there running 1:8, 1:9 twists. Do you think that 69 gr stabilize well in those slower twists?

kwells6

i know a 1-9 did AMAZING with 75gr Hornady TAP ammo...

I'm sure the 1-8 wouldt do bad with a 69gr, but look into a 62gr

T-Ray

I know you said they're gonna use it, but .223 is kinda like a 410 on a shotgun: some think it's a good beginner round, but it really requires an expert shot to kill. .223 pretty much requires a neck shot, which is a MUCH smaller kill zone than the shoulder. Make sure the boy has been shooting before he gets behind a 223 aimed at a deer. Again, precise shot placement is key. Practice, Practice, Practice (and then go buy at least a .243:D)

Swampghost

I have friends in Miss. They consistantly embarass me with their deer.

I consider .223 barely acceptable for our 100-150# deer. One of the private/managed lands just made .243 a minimum due to their recovery tally of last years carcasses. Most were probably poachers trying to keep the noise down but we all have to suffer for it, they now 'request' nothing less than .30 cal.

Going for big deer with excited kids and a small round????

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Stay. With. The. Subject.

There are .223 bullets and commercial loads around 65 to 75 grains which have been designed against blowing up in the old varmint-load style.

The deer-target idea for practice is one of the better ideas I've read. Odds are that a cross-body heart/lung point of aim would be much better than an angling shot, particularly if the deer is quartering away.

cubesmoothie

Anyone who says a .223 is too light for deer most likely hasn't shot a deer with one. With proper bullets, a .223 will hit em as hard or harder than a 44 mag, from even farther away. Use a 60 grain nosler partition.

mtnman

My daughter has taken several deer with her mini 14. Her effective range is 75 yards with 55gn ballistic silver tips.

bcarver

thanks

I didn't know nosler made a .223 partition.
I think that is what I load.
I am guessing 16'' barrel and begining load data should keep the bullet from fragmenting too much.

James R. Burke

Like the prior post said you no doubt are aware of the disagrements on that cal for deer. Like the load data there giving you is good. But what you also have to remember is it is also a learning leason for them, so keep that in mind not being seasoned hunters. One of the good points about young shooters is they do have very good eye sight, and cordintation with it dealing with rifles. Just make sure they leave them walk if they dont have that perfect shot, and like I always say that goes for any caliber. Being a reloader at least you will have a edge there in my thoughts.

artsmom

I'll say it: Seven years old is old enough to pull a trigger and kill a deer, but not old enough to hunt deer. Take them along at that age, let them apprentice their way up, and learn all the other aspects besides killing the deer.

I know way to many "little hunters" who can't sit still, can't keep quiet, can't spot a deer, can't load the gun, have the safety taken off for them, aren't allowed to hold a sharp knife to field dress it, and are excused from all tasks related to deer hunting that occur before or after the shot. But to hear them tell it, the kid is a reincarnation of Daniel Boone because he or she made something dead.

Here's the benchmark for me: If you are willing to send the kid to or from the hunting spot back to or from the vehicle by themselves during darkness with the gun, a flashlight, and the knife, then he is old enough to hunt. Otherwise, you are kidding yourself and the kid, and that kid is most likely to give up when they can't make the jump from shooter to hunter when they have to fill out permits, scout, pack their own gear, set the alarm clock, etc., etc., etc..

cornbush

You could try the 53 gr. Barnes Triple Shock, they shoot pretty good out of my Elk rifle, yes I've hunted elk with a .223.:D
I still use a bigger gun than my brother, .22 Hornet.:eek:
No, they are not the normal rifles we hunt with.

The triple shocks seem to shoot very well, they should do a deer no problem.

James R. Burke

Artsmom is correct. I know I made some replys on this, and I got to admit I was not given the age factor much thought. Seven is really young. I started very early, and was a gun nut from the get go. But it started slower. B.B. gun, pellet gun, shotgun and .22 with Dad etc. I believe I was twelve when I first went deer hunting. But like I said I was a gun nut, they had to keep me reeled in. The old man would buy a brick of .22's when we went to camp, and they were like gone the same day. I remember he used to keep a brick hide. One time on the way home there was two yotes about 40 yards away not moving. The old man was p.o. no .22 shells or shotgun shells left. From then on I kept a few on hand. The first deer I got I gutted it, and new that was a must if I shot it. I was helped, and given plenty of instructions, and time, but I got it done. Those were some pretty good points made. Just pulling the trigger is the easy part. Also recoil was never a problem. If someone had a rifle or pistol and they would let me shot it, I was on it. Ma was always worried being so young but Dad could see it in me, and what it meant to me. Most states that would be way to young I believe. But if it is legal, and they are ready for the whole nine yards, and you really do think there mature enough more power to them. But thinking about it at that age it would be a concern at least for me, and that is just me, and only me. Like I said when I made the replys I was not giving the age factor any thought, and I should have.