Best ROF for Subguns?

ACP230

On another forum folks are talking about the best rate of fire for subguns. People who shoot subgun matches seem to be most satisfied with rates of around 600 rpm. Those who have "seen the elephant," suggest 900 to 1000 rpm is better because three round bursts don't take so long and will generally stay in a fairly small group. Others fall in between somewhere, or like the sloooooow rate of the M3/M3A1 (Greasegun). What do you guys have to say on the best rate of fire for subguns?

I fall in the 600 rpm camp myself.

Mission orientation. For regular combat missions, 600 rpm is fine. Hostage rescue & excutive protection, faster.

Hkmp5sd

Since I have to pay to feed mine and the targets don't tend to shoot back, I like the 600-800 range.

Schuey2002

Double Ditto!

To give you an example:

HK's MP5 has a cyclic rate of 800 rpm,so do the "SD" models,
while the "K" models run at 900 rpm. But the UMP45/40 S&W run at a lower 600 rpm. The HK53's run 700 rpm,and all G36 models at 750 rpm.

As you can see,it depends on the particular gun ....

KarlPMann

Of all the FA's I've shot I like the ROF of the UZI the best, which is a big reason that it is my favorite sub-gun. Mine runs around 650-700rpm's. Karl.

Johnny Guest

Moderator in Memoriam
According to nature of the use, as mentioned above.

Probably early indoctrination, but I like the 600--650 range, myself. This is where most Thompsons operate-- A classic old SMG, not very Tack-tick-cull, but lots of fun.

I've made a bunch of empty brass with MAC-10s and M2 .30 carbines. It just seems like too big a chore to keep magazines loaded . . . ;)

The utility of the SMG in a non-military setting is largely for show and morale purposes. I know - - -You can't have a SWAT team without a couple of buzz guns, but I can't find a time in the past 30 years when they were a real advantage for law enforcement. FUN shooting, and matches, now - - -That's another thing.

Best,
Johnny

The Rock

Actually, I remember a statement made that the M16 was best around 425-435rpm.

I wonder how you could slow it down that low.

TR

DrDremel

Actually it is different for each firearm. What you want is for the firearm to came back from recoil by the time the next shot is fired. In submachineguns that seem to fall between 550-750 for most. For heavy caliber machineguns that are mounted to a tripod or pintle, a fast rate will give better results. For those the trade off between ammo that a man can carry and the rate must be considered. For competition, the slower the better.