• Ruger

Votes: 8 11.0%
  • Savage

Votes: 50 68.5%
  • Winchester

Votes: 6 8.2%

• Total voters

PATH

I really like Savage rifles. They sure ain't purty but they are inexpensive and reliable and pretty darn accurate. I own Remington, Ruger, and Winchester products and they are fine but I'm partial to Savage. What about you folks and why?

I have no financial link of any sort nor am I a representative of Savage Rifles! :D

I have a Savage .22 and a Remington .30-06. The Remmy runs about $400 new (this one was used but unfired at just shy of $300), the Sav was a steal for the price I got it for (new). I haven't fired one, but from what I've read, the new Weatherby rifles seem to be very good for the price.

Overall, I think I agree, Savage rifles are probably the best bang for the buck bolt guns out there.

johnbt

Savage I suppose.

No foreign rifles allowed? CZ, Sako & Tikka are a whole lot of rifle for the $$$.

John

Edit: Wait a minute. I forgot that Winchester is now a foreign company. FN owns it.

YosemiteSam357

Who says Savages ain't purdy? Take a look at my 12BVSS. Just got it about 3 weeks ago.

Tikka's may be nice, but they're pretty hard to find around these parts (Oregon). And (from what I could find in the limited info on them) they don't currently have a stainless/laminate in .243. Don't get my wrong; I love their lineage (Sako), but Savage filled the bill for me where they couldn't.

-- Sam

FirstFreedom

Best centerfire turnbolt values, new, IMO

Roughly in order, best first:

--WALMART Weatherby
--WALMART Remington
--Howa 1500
--Savage 10 and 11
--CZ 550
--Tikka T3

Winchester not bad, but not in the same value category as these. Regular Rems overpriced, IMO.

Denny Hansen

Staff Emeritus
IMO Savage is underpriced for the accuracy they give. I have two Savage bolt guns (.223 and .308) and they will shoot right alongside some of the most expensive custom rifles I've ever fired. I still have one target from the .223 on my wall. Five shot, hundred yard group (measured center-to-center) was .221-inch.

Denny

Erich

I clicked on this thread thinking, "Watch, they won't even have Savage as a choice." Well, I was wrong, and I'm glad to see it. I'm also glad to see so many others agree with me that Savage products are a terrific value for the money.

Just this weekend I shot a Savage .30-06 that a friend owns. He's put a Leupold scope and a bipod on it. From a bench at 100 yards, I had three bullet holes touching with his handloads.

He bought the gun at Wal-Mart, for amazingly little money. Can't beat that. :)

FirstFreedom

You could add to my list (too late to edit), a WALMART Winchester if you find them, if they're as discounted as the Rems and Weatherbys I see at my local store. Whole nuther subject about WM, but if you exclude them and their buying power, then my choices stand: Savage, Howa, Tikka, and CZ! The varminter Howas are incredible values, seems to me. Savages with accu-triggers even better values than pre-accu-trigger.

mordak

I have seen Savages out shoot Remingtons and all the others that cost 2x's more and higher. They may not be as esthetically as some people might like but they are very well made and super accurat for cheap money. Just my $.02 :)

mordak

YosemiteSam357: Who says Savages ain't purdy? Take a look at my 12BVSS. Just got it about 3 weeks ago.

Tikka's may be nice, but they're pretty hard to find around these parts (Oregon). And (from what I could find in the limited info on them) they don't currently have a stainless/laminate in .243. Don't get my wrong; I love their lineage (Sako), but Savage filled the bill for me where they couldn't.
-- Sam

I gotta agree Sam, that 12VSS is sweeeet. I like one in .308 please and maybe another in .223 just for good measure. :D ;)

SquirrelMan

I voted Savage because CZ550 wasn't up there.

Here is my next CZ

21.jpg

I think I will go for the 22-250

-SM