Best Revolver....

Dr45ACP

So what do you guys think the overall best double action revolver is... in terms of quality, versatility, etc...

I say Colt Python, followed by S&W 625, then S&W 629.

Canine

The best:

1. Colt Python
2. Ruger SP 101/GP 100/RH,SRH,BH, etc
3. S&W J,K,L,N frames, etc
4. Colt revolvers (other than the Python)

The mediocre:

Taurus
Rossi

arnie

The S&W 686 plus. It is in .357 caliber, which is versatile. It is in the beefed up L frame. It was carried by many LEO for years as their issue sidearm in six shot mode. It is stainless, and low maintainance. It is now in 7 shot configuration, and even stronger than the 6 shot model.

denfoote

I must disagree. The best revolver is the Taurus M605. Why, because I own one, and it is not a Smith. :p Seriously though, my wife carries a Taurus M85. She is not ill-armed.

Older S&W Model 19s, before they went to the frame mounted firing pin.

Simply the best combination of ergonomics, price, reliability, power, and portability ever seen in a single handgun, as far as I'm concerned.

AR-10

The Colt Anaconda deserves honorable mention. A little heavy for concealed carry.:) Excellent trigger and craftsmanship. Hard to pick a "best". So many to choose from.

tonyz

Ruger Security-Six in SS
Ruger GP100 in SS
Dan Wesson In SS
S&w 686
S&W 19 Older Model

Tony

[Edited by tonyz on 02-26-2001 at 03:00 PM]

RWK

Very tough question, because there are so many excellent candidates. My short, non-prioritized list includes:

Smith -- Models 19, 627/27, 686
Colt -- Python and other selected snakes
Ruger -- GP100, SP100, Security Six, and all the "Hawks"

FWIW, my current favorites (own two of each) are the Ruger KGP-141 and the S&W 627 Special Edition.

WESHOOT2

1) Redhawk, stainless, 5.5", 45 Colt

2) same, 44 Mag

3) same, 41 Mag

4) same, 357 Mag

5) GP100, stainless, 4"

Kinda' inna' rut, eh? Experience is a great teacher.....

J. Parker

Just based on my own experience I think the best for me is the S&W mod 66/19 with the 21/2" barrel. S&W mod 629's and 29's are sweet with a 4" barrel. Presently, I've got a S&W mod 657 41 maggie that I consider the finest revolver I've ever owned. Best, J. Parker

JoeHatley

Based on those I own:

1) Any "N" frame S&W

2) Colt Python/Trooper

3) Any small frame Dan Wesson

4) Any "K" frame S&W

5) Ruger Redhawk

Joe

Torpedo

1. A Reeder Custom on a redhawk base with a three inch barrel in .45 LC, with all the bells and whistles.
2. A S&W model 629 in .44 Mag., 4 inch.
3. A S&W model 19 or 66 .357 Mag., 4 inch.
4. A Colt Python in .357, 4 inch.