BEST revolver w/ these specs:

Driveout02

*stainless (preferrably not brushed)
*wood grips, w/ fingergrooves (even if it means buying them seperately)
*3" or less (barrel)

This might sound like a hundred revolvers out there, but I really do want to see my reflection in it (no brushed stainless), and I absolutely need the finger grooves in the grip (had a Rossi without them, it was a bear to hold). Even if this does fit many bills, what's the BEST revolver with these specs?

Thanks!
~Jake.

fisherman66

Between metal polish and after market grips you can have any 3" SS wheelie out there. My GP100 has a mirror finish. Still waiting on the after market grips. If you are unwilling to put in the elbow grease you might be looking for a nickle or chrome finish.

Perhaps there are some other considerations (size or purpose) that would help narrow the field.

GUNKWAZY

I agree, what is the purpose for the gun ?
Do you have a caliber preference ?
.357 Magnum is nice because you can always plink with cheaper 38 specials.

Type of grips my be something to look into.
Here's a couple S&W revolvers that fit your needs.
The full lug version is the 7 shot 686 S&W .357 Magnum.
The other 2 are S&W model 66's. All 3 are great choices and there's a TON of grips to fit anyones needs.
The 66's are no longer being made, but can be found all over in nice shape or unfired on the used market.
The top 66 has round butt Hogue's and the other 66 has round butt to square but conversion grips by Hogue as well.
If you buy a modern round butt S&W wheelgun, your grip selection will be endless.
There's many other choices, the S&W revolver is just convenient for me to point out all these things.

grips.jpg

Now, as far as polished stainless goes, there's not a lot of mfg making polished guns. Taurus makes some, but usually I have to do my own to make them look like Nickel.

This was done by hand and did NOT come from the factory looking like this.
And I'm unskilled. If you're willing to put some time in, you can turn virtually any stainless revolver into a retina burner. By the way, NO buffers or tools were used to do the polish on this gun.
***One more thing, all 3 of the above and the one below S&W revolvers, the .357's and the .500 Magnum all share the same grips. K, L & X frames.

engraved500.jpg

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

Kreyzhorse

For my money - S&W 637. The entire revolver isn't stainless, just the yoke, cylinder and barrel, but it's a perfect CCW piece.

Driveout02

to narrow it down: it would be a .357, and it would be a CCW that could double as a house gun. Is nickel not an advisable finish? Just wondering b/c you don't see it very often.
~Jake

Driveout02

Rugers

Also, I've had luck with Ruger firearms. I've looked at the SP101 and GP100, and was wondering if the GP100 was too big for concealed carry (if not, the extra round, and reduced recoil would be nice)?
~Jake.

fisherman66

The GP100 is fairly large. You might have to alter the way you dress to accomodate carrying. The SP101 is a size I would be more comfortable with, but I might be inclined to go for one of the lighter weight alloy revolvers with a bobbed hammer (or internal) if I were going to it carry concelled. Not as pretty, unless you are one of the form follows function individuals and then it is sheer beauty/function.

GUNKWAZY

I've looked at the SP101 and GP100, and was wondering if the GP100 was too big for concealed carry (if not, the extra round, and reduced recoil would be nice)?

As far as extra round goes, I'm not sure what revolver you're referring to ?
The model 66 S&W is a 6 round 357 as is the GP100.
To answer the Nickel question, the Nickel finish will not hold up near as good as a bright stainless. The Bright stainless will be able to be rubbed and buffed until the gun no longer exists. The Nickel finish is only a couple thousands of an inch and will only take so much rubbing until you get down to the copper underneath. Also the stainless will hold up to your cleaning chemicals much better, where as the nickel could peel and bubble if the wrong type of cleaner is used.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

Driveout02

Oh, I was reffering to the extra round when comparing an SP101 to a GP100. The SP101 is a 5 shot, which should be enough, but if the GP100 wasn't too much bigger, the extra shot would be nice. However, it does sound like the GP100 is noticably bigger, so the SP101 would probably fit the bill a little better. Are there any decent rosewood grips out there for the 5 shot that don't break the bank?

~Jake.

fisherman66

Absolute, money is no object, best: Manurhin MR73

Since when is money no object? I must be livin' on the other side of the railroad track. 'course I ain't ever seen a Manurhin MR73.

I haven't actually held a Meteba, but if money was no object I could see myself holding one. But sadly money will be an object, so I shoot Rugers.

ronto

Ruger 357 SP101 DAO...IWB for carry or INS (in the night stand) for HD...Both functions work for me...5 rounds of 357 are more than enough for SD...Take your pick of wood grips, there are many choices available... I have Trausch grips on mine...not pretty but good recoil absorption and control.

Old John

Ruger!

I've aleardy made my Choices.
I have a Ruger GP100, Stainless, 3", .357 and a Ruger SP101, Stainless,
2.25", .357.
I carry either, in Galco OWB Holsters, Winter or Summer.
I love them both.
Buy what you like.
Be happy with it.

gak

For your criteria, keep an eye out for the fairly rare 3" 66 - doesn't get any better than that. I've got an also rare 3" Lady Smith 65 which is great - but it doesn't have the polished finish you're looking for. My grips were changed out to Pach's, but most of them came with the wood/finger groove round butt grips.

Kreyzhorse

If this is a CCW, your only choice is the SP101. I think the GP100 is too thick to carry. Even a SP101 will print in an OWB holster. A GP will print much, much more.

And yes, I carry a snub nose OWB in a Galco and if you know what to look for, you'll see the print.

Driveout02

down to three

thanks for all your replies so far..
to whittle it down a little more:

I've been looking at 3 that really stick out for me
1. The SP101 (but it only has 5 shots, and I've heard the bar can be shoddy)
2. The Smith 60 (but is it too big?)
3. The Ladysmith stainless (but no .357? and I do have big hands as well)

Any one of these 3 stand out to you guys?

~Jake.

Desert01

I just opted for the 6 shot Colt Agent. I love it, but it is harder to dress then the SP101. Why not sign up for the Smith & Wesson Academy/Northestern Tactical Snub Nose Class in Apr. You will get good instruction on the snubnose from a expert, and you can rent S&W's from the range for the course.

I should be there with my Colt and a rather large, for CCW, Dan Wesson .357 fresh from Cylinder & Slide (i hope). If money is truely not a problem start with the training.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=12601&storeId=10001&productId=19465&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=21808&training=Y

Also Try:

http://www.snubnose.info/guns.htm

Then send your gun to Cylinder & Slide:

http://www.cylinder-slide.com/Masterblaster.shtml

Or Grant Cunningham:
http://www.grantcunningham.com/index.html

Good Luck