Best revolver of all-time?

youngunz4life

This thread isn't a drive-by. The title speaks for itself. I wish I knew the answer to the question when you consider any & every variable.

James K

Member In Memoriam
Best how? Best target revolver for US style bullseye shooting? Best target revolver for European style shooting? Best revolver for SASS? Best revolver for concealed carry? Best revolver for police service use? Best revolver for military use? Highest price revolver sold as a collectible? Highest price production revolver? And so on.

Next post, ask something easy, like what is the best kind of woman/man to marry.

Jim

zippy13

I'm with JamesK, you need to be a little more specific. Best revolver of all-time for what: Hunting large and dangerous animals, personal protection, competition, reliability, ease of concealment, accuracy, value, collect-ability, or… ?
What's the best car of all-time? boat? plane?

temmi

Well you gotta ask "for What"

The Ruger Blackhawk comes to mind first..

Then the Super Redhawk... (480 Ruger)

Then the S&W J Frame...

In that order.

Technosavant

I'd go with a S&W K frame, but I'll probably be contrarian and say the Model 66, just because I prefer stainless revolvers. :D

Or maybe the 686, because the L frame can take a steady diet of magnums, or maybe even the GP-100, because it does what the 686 can do, but at a lower price.

You can always find something about a given revolver that isn't ideal for a given task, but if I needed one "jack of all trades" wheelgun, I'd probably look for a 19/66/686/GP-100 with a four inch barrel as my ideal. If that gun won't get it done, there isn't much that will.

old bear

I'm with JamesK, you need to be a little more specific. Best revolver of all-time for what: Hunting large and dangerous animals, personal protection, competition, reliability, ease of concealment, accuracy, value, collect-ability, or… ?
What's the best car of all-time? boat? plane?

IMHO, the Smith and Wesson Registered Magnum followed closely by the M-27's made until 1980.

For practical use the Smith and Wesson L frame .357 Magnum revolvers, closely followed by the Combat Magnum.

Old Grump

Member in memoriam
I do not know how to define the parameters of best overall. The best I can do is name the one that I want the most and few others would. A colt Walker made of modern materials, a bonus would be a spare cylinder for smokeless powder cartridges. I know its to big and to heavy but I love the look and the concept, way ahead of its time but it can be tweaked to perfection. Besides when I shoot black powder I like to make lots of smoke and this one certainly qualifies as a smoke pole.

Zhillsauditor

Easy question: the one you just bought. Here are the two I walked home with yesterday:
S&W 686P
686.jpg

and the 617

617_left.jpg

youngunz4life

Jim

Best how? Best target revolver for US style bullseye shooting? Best target revolver for European style shooting? Best revolver for SASS? Best revolver for concealed carry? Best revolver for police service use? Best revolver for military use? Highest price revolver sold as a collectible? Highest price production revolver? And so on.

Next post, ask something easy, like what is the best kind of woman/man to marry.

Jim

Thanx for your input - I know it is tough, and that is why I didn't even attempt to clarify this issue more than I did in my original post:

This thread isn't a drive-by. The title speaks for itself. I wish I knew the answer to the question when you consider any & every variable.