Best reduced load (30-06) for deer

Dogger

What do you folks recommend in this caliber for a reduced load "roll your own" deer dropper? Where I hunt, 200 yards is a LOOOOOONG shot.

Thanks.

orsogato

I use a 150gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip bullet
and 55.5 grains of IMR 4350.

It is not a "reduced" load, but it is on the low end of Nosler's load data tables for the 06'. If you want a "reduced" load .30 cal weapon, get a .30-30

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Dogger, it might help to know your purpose. Unless your deer are field-dressing under 100 pounds, the "clean kill" idea sorta works better with higher performance.

Orsogato's load is some 200-250 ft/sec more than a .30-30, per Speer #13...

Art

Dr.Rob

Staff Alumnus
I'd just use a Federal red box 150 grain bullet and call it done. No need to underpower your rifle.

Fatcat

I actually use the Federal 180 grain high energy loads for deer (as well as elk), and they kill just as cleanly without any excess destruction of meat. No point in loading down.

HankL

Dogger, I don't understand what you are wanting. 200 yds is a pretty good range to be looking down to head check a whitetail and drop him on or near the spot and using a reduced load is only going to complicate matters. Using a Ruger M77 "old style with tang safety" shooting hand loads using Federal brass with 48.5 grains of IMR 4064 under a Nosler 165 grain Partition and well placed shots the job can be done. I don't understand the reduced loads part of this question.

Dogger

Sorr y for the lack of explanation: developing a h andload for a 16 year old 98 pound female teenager for first deer hunt...

jamescuda74

reduced load data-30-06

1 of my reloading mags suggest these loads for the 30-06 as reduced loads for deer. 150 grain nosler bullet, IMR 4895 powder at 44.0 grains, This gives 2,600 fps with 2,252 ft-lbs of energy. Or 180 grain nosler, IMR 4064 powder at 43.0 grains,that gives 2,415 fps with 2,331 ft-lbs of energy.hope this will help, and get her comfortable with the gun and into the woods,James:)

Jim Watson

Ken Waters said in Pet Loads: "...Norma's development of a special factory assembled reduced load for Swedish deer hunters who are owners of .30-06 rifles but desired a cartridge similar in power to a .30-30. A 150 grain .30-30 flat nose bullet was loaded in the .30-06 case ahead of 38.1 grains of N-200 for a velocity of 2411 fps. In fact, they referred to this load as the ".30-30-06. It can readily be duplicated with any of our 150 grain .30-30 bullets and that same charge of N-200, or 40 grains of H-322, or 41 grains of 3031. ...add two or three more grains of those powders and you'll be approximating .300 Savage power."

I loaded some like that for a small statured beginner and she put them right on target with no discomfort.
Her hubby does not reload, she will likely end up with a 7-08 or maybe a 260 like another friend furnished his S.O.

grimel

Is the person NEW to shooting? Have they tried a regular 30-06 150gr load? Do they shoot shotguns? Is this an experiment hunt or does she like to hunt and this is her first big game?

.243's are light on recoil and will kill any whitetail/mule deer that has ever lived out to 200yds with 100gr Nosler Partitions.

FWIW, at under 98lbs (and under 16) I was shooting a M98 8x57 that had been sporterized and a 1903 Springfield 30-06 that had also been sporterized with no ill effects.

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
A decade and more ago, I decided to make up a 30-30 style load for the pre 64 Model 70 that I owned. Following the directions given by Nosler, I used the 170 gr Ballistic Tip BT they made for the 30-30 and a starting load of IMR 4350. Estimated velocity was around 2500 FPS, recoil was light. The only deer I shot with it was someone else's cripple, but instant turn off. BTW, the load shot into about 1 1/4" at 100 yards, which was about as good as that rifle and I ever did. That starting load was from the manual and was the 168 gr data. 2 more gr of weight and a starting load of powder will not up pressure dangerously.

A similar load using the flat nose 150 and a suitable powder(I still like 4350) should fill the order.