Best red dot for Mini-14 Ranch?

Dave3006

I was wondering if anyone has put a red dot on a Mini-14 ranch. Any advise on which to pick would be great. I don't want to spend a fortune.

Thanks,
Dave

Halffast

Dave,

I have the Leupold-Gilmore LG-1 on mine. It fits right into the stock 1"rings. It has a 2 moa dot and I like it a lot. It was about $160. HTH.

David

Ghengis

Given the fact that you don't want to spend alot, I think that the Tasco PDP series is a best buy. I've had a PDP2 for about 6 yrs now and it hasn't given me a lick of trouble.

DougB

I have a Tasco PDP3 on my Ranch Rifle and am very happy with it. I traded my 1" rings for 30mm (Ruger swapped at no charge). My only regret is that Ruger doesn't make low 30mm stainless rings. I got the medium height stainless rings, and they work okay, but I would rather mount it lower. I may get some Ruger low 30mm rings in blue (though the the PDP3 and my rifle are stainless). Be careful about the later models (PDP5, etc.) - they offer nice features, but I don't think any of them will fit the standard Ruger rings.

Doug

spleenandideal

Tasco PDP on my stainless ranch....mounted on a Weigand weaver-type rail affixed to the ruger integral scope mounts....makes for a nicer fit, more adjustability and looks kewl for a minimal amount of money.

Crimper-D

Aimpoint MkIII on mine

This is anolder Red Dot, works fine. The only down side is the battery replacements are expensive and have to be special orderd from Radio Shack.:rolleyes:

DougB

EwokGuy,

Tasco makes at least two lines of red dot sights. I think the cheaper ones are Accudots, and the more expensive are ProPoints. My ProPoint3 (PDP3) seems to be very high quality - at least a notch or two above the "entry level" red dot sights. I would pick a Tasco ProPoint over any Simmons red dot I've seen (though I haven't looked at them for awhile). I paid about $100 for my stainless ProPoint 3.

Regarding the Ruger Ranch Rifle, many red-dot scopes won't work with it due to the fixed spacing of the rings (if you use the standard mounts). I looked around quite a bit before choosing my PDP3.

Doug