Best Projectile for .50 Muzzleloader

BlackPowderBen

So my TC hawken bore is most likely a 1:48, what's the best bullet to cast? Minnie, Round ball, real, maxi? Round balls take less lead which is a plus.

Pahoo

What are your expectations ?

what's the best bullet to cast?
Just too many variables to provide a definitive answer. I have shot most of what you have listed and although I "probably" won't run and shoot some again, I always fall back to my RB's cast or bought. .... :)

Might I suggest that you start out with finding you optimum load on round-balls. Once you have that down, you can experiment with Conicals and Sabots or whatever you wish. On RB-loads, you will likely find that your optimum target load, is in the 70's range and you optimum hunting load, in the 90's. Of course, range-time is definitely in order. .... :rolleyes:

Good luck and;
Be Safe !!!

Last edited:

wogpotter

1:48 is a compromise twist rate supposedly good for both PRB & saboted bullets.
I've found my 1:48 Hawken carbine is better with PRB though.
If you want decent relatively inexpensive slugs try the Lee REAL bullets. They weren't as accurate for me though.

Hawg

Finding the best load with a PRB usually takes some effort on finding the right ball/powder/patch combo.

Jbar4Ranch

1:48 was quite common back in the day. Supposedly, all Hawken brothers rifles are of this twist rate because they only had one rifling jig in their shop and that's what it cut. Longer, smaller caliber rifles of the Kentucky and Pennsylvania style were often slower than 1:48, but 1:48 usually works just fine with a patched round ball - more often than not, better than a conical.

Ifishsum

I'd wager you'll have a tough time beating the accuracy of a round ball and tight fitting patch, at least up to 75 grains or so. For my T/C Hawken they start to get squirrely as soon as I load above that level. I can get reasonable accuracy from Lee 320gr REALs and maxi-ball but not as good as the PRB shoots. YMMV of course.

sproulman

We have been testing 50 cal for at least 45 years on target and hunting bucks here in pa. ok here we go.Hawkins flintlocks have 1-48 twist..They were made to shoot the 370 gr maxi-ball.LENGTH of bullet is key in these guns .This bullet will shoot clover leafs at 50 yards..best of bullets in conical so far in the 1-48 twist flinlocks...So we went to shorter MAXI-HUNTERS in 320/350 gr..They did not group well at all..You cannot push the maxi-ball at high charges.2 f at around 75 grs and 3 ft no more than 70 grs..When your groups open up you are too hot..Nice thing about lower charges and great groups is you do not get a lot of recoil..That is very nice and your shooting will be much better..HAWKINS .50 cal flintlock will shoot rd .490 very well..I use 90 grs of 3f with .018 patch/bore button and its great on groups for buck deer hunting..

This year I am testing the Powerbelt 348 gr to see how it shoots..The maxi-balls are getting almost as expensive as powerbelts now.Powerbelts you do not have to mess with bore butter in winter and it can freeze and make loading tough.PB are easy to load in cold with no bore butter etc...

370 gr maxi-ball not maxi -hunter in 50 cal flintlock is about as good as you can get and charges keep low never over 75 grs of 2f or 70 of 3 f is about where you will be ...

DD4lifeusmc

I have a late 1970's CVA 50 cal 1:48
It does prefer the conicals.
Have used the old 360 gr REAL and the 320's and now the T/C Lyman 370
maxi ball. Seems to like all three with a little sight fine tuning between the three.
Some people find adding a over powder wad helps with the accuracy.
My normal load is 85 / 90 gr of ffg

By the way REAL is a gimmick name.
Any lead projectile loaded from the muzzle is REAL (rifling engaged at loading)
In our muzzle loaders