Best Production .45 Colt Lever Gun?

sixgunnin

What's the best production .45 Colt lever gun for under $500? I am looking for a good truck gun that will handle years of mud, sand, and snow. I don't baby my guns, They get used pretty hard;)

Hawg

For 500 about the only choice is a Rossi 92. For maybe 600 or close to it you can get a Henry unless somebody knows of one cheaper.

weblance

I just bought a Marlin 1894 in 44 Mag. They make 45 Colt also. My 44 is a solid rifle. Many people bash the new Marlin(Remington) because they did have some growing pains, but that seems to be behind them. I also have a new Marlin 1895 in 45-70, and its excellent also.

I just looked at Buds Gun Shop to see... The Marlin 1894 in 45 Colt is $480. I would take the Marlin over the Rossi.

VoodooMountain

I would get a Henry. Tube loading for a rifle like this is actually an advantage to me as my wife (and soon my son) won't get bit by a razor sharp loading gate or sprain their thumb because it is so stiff.

I bought a marlin 44 mag a couple years ago. Rough around the edges but seems to shoot fine.

Hawg

I would get a Henry. Tube loading for a rifle like this is actually an advantage to me as my wife (and soon my son) won't get bit by a razor sharp loading gate or sprain their thumb because it is so stiff.

Both are pretty well negated if you use the next cartridge to push the previous one in.

Hawg

I would take the Marlin over the Henry but I'd probably take the Rossi over the Marlin. Actually I did do just that. I traded off a Marlin 94 in 44 mag to get a Rossi 92 in 44-40

The brass alloy Henrys are solid rifles. I don't like the Golden Boy 22 LR because of its zinc frame with a brass plated steel sheath that slides over it.

Crunchy Frog

At that price point the Rossi is about the only choice.

We use pistol caliber lever action rifles in cowboy action shooting. .45 Colt would be my last choice in caliber, because I have seen so many rifles in that chambering that suffer from "blow-by"-gas flows around the case in the chamber into the shooter's face. It is caused by a combination of the relatively stiff walls of the .45 Colt cartridge and generous chamber dimensions. Light loads are the worst but sometimes increasing bullet weight or powder charge won't eliminate it. Then again, some rifles don't have that problem. Seems to be luck of the draw.

Rifles were not offered in .45 Colt in the 19th Century; .45 Colt was a revolver cartridge. Manufacturers started making them in the late 20th Century in response to the demand from cowboy action shooters.

My rifles are .38/.357 because they are very inexpensive to feed. If I wanted a big bore pistol caliber, my first choice would be a .44-40 (which I don't think Rossi makes at present), followed by a .44 Magnum or .41 Magnum.

Hawg

I don't like the Golden Boy 22 LR because of its zinc frame with a brass plated steel sheath that slides over it.

Nothing plated about it. The receiver cover is Zamak 5 as is the frame. It's a high tensile zinc alloy. The color on the cover goes all the way through and it's tough. I've had mine over 10 years and I'd still rather have it than a marlin 39A.

.45 Colt would be my last choice in caliber, because I have seen so many rifles in that chambering that suffer from "blow-by"-gas flows around the case in the chamber into the shooter's face. It is caused by a combination of the relatively stiff walls of the .45 Colt cartridge and generous chamber dimensions. Light loads are the worst but sometimes increasing bullet weight or powder charge won't eliminate it. Then again, some rifles don't have that problem. Seems to be luck of the draw.

Rifles were not offered in .45 Colt in the 19th Century; .45 Colt was a revolver cartridge. Manufacturers started making them in the late 20th Century in response to the demand from cowboy action shooters.

Howdy

I concur. All my lever guns for CAS are either 44-40 or 38-40. I won a 45 Colt Rossi once as a raffle prize in a major match. Didn't fire one shot out of it, I sold it and used the money towards my 44-40 1860 Henry.

The thin brass at the case mouth of 44-40 or 38-40 allows the brass to expand and seal the chamber at the low pressures developed by Black Powder much better than the thicker case walls of 45 Colt.

Hawg

Uberti was the first in 1984.

The thin brass at the case mouth of 44-40 or 38-40 allows the brass to expand and seal the chamber at the low pressures developed by Black Powder much better than the thicker case walls of 45 Colt.

I love my 44-40's for that very reason.

drobs

I have an Interarms Rossi 92 in 357mag / 38spl - it is by far one of my most favorite guns to shoot.

Hawg

Mine is an Interarms too but not stainless. The only thing I don't like about it is the front sight is on top of the barrel band like a 73 but at least it doesn't have that stupid safety.

Stormson

Nothing plated about it. The receiver cover is Zamak 5 as is the frame. It's a high tensile zinc alloy. The color on the cover goes all the way through and it's tough. I've had mine over 10 years and I'd still rather have it than a marlin 39A.
Not to hijack the thread, but I once had a Marlin 39. NOT 39A, but just plain 39. Was my grandmothers and I believe her Dads before that.

MANY a squirrel found itself in the unfortunate position of being covered in gravy, in my youth, due to that rifle... And it was one of the most accurate rifles I have ever had. My Mawma was also the only person I have ever known that would make me cook the heads along with the rest, and would eat the brains as well...Never bothered with all that myself, but she was in her 20s during the depression so...

Long story, but that family keepsake, and bane of squirrels everywhere, was stolen from me in a round about way. I can only imagine what the value of it would have been today... I have never seen another in person..